Bronze Supporter
May 18, 2016
MARION, IL
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi!
We are testing our water every evening, putting numbers in PoolMath, and adding recommended amounts of appropriate chemicals (usually just bleach). Our pool water is absolutely gorgeous and feels so silky - the best it's ever been. This is our first year with TFP, and we are loving it!
My question is this: Every evening, our FC is about 2.4ish, so we add the recommended amount of12% chlorine. I was curious if it is ever getting back up to the FC goal of 6, so I just tested it toady at 1 pm and it is 3.2. Is it possible that our pool is bigger than we calculated (difficult to be precise with the deep end slope and oval shape)? Should we bump our size and therefore start adding more chlorine, or, since the water looks and feels so great, should we leave it alone and keep doing what we've been doing (don't fix iit if its not broken)? By the way, the pH has been consistently around 7.6. We test the other levels weekly (TA, CYA, and CH) and they have been consistently within goal range.

Thank you!
Jill

Last edited:
PoolMath has this to say:

"If the depth varies, use the average depth of the pool. A good approximation is the shallow end depth plus the deep end depth divided by two. Irregularly shaped pools can be approximated by estimating the average length and width and using rectangular."

So I think a reasonable approximation using the calculator on pool math would be get average depth, then just give length and width of the oval.

Thank you for all the suggestions. We had already used the average depth method in our original calculations, so we will stick with that number. I hadn't heard of the chemical method…intriguing for sure. Hopefully, I think we're doing everything right.
A related question is how much does chlorine typically drop on very hot days?

Thank you, again, everybody. We test our water around 8 pm and add whatever is needed according to the PoolMath calculations. Awesome tool! We have our goal FC set at 6.
So, we checked the FC at 8 am the last 2 mornings, and it was 5.4 and 5.6. So we feel confident that everything is fine. We really, really appreciate all the encouragement, advice, information, and patience we find on this site!!! You guys are the best!!! :D

Have you tried this pool volume calculator from Pentair? Pool Volume Calculator | PENTAIR

That's a great tool! I measured my 16x32 oval pool volume by reading the water meter during fill at 13,200 gals. The Pentair tool (oblong option using oval measurements) calculates 13,392 gals. My gals/IN-depth is 320 gals. So the tool is very accurate in my simple situation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.