Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calculating size of pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Calculating size of pool

Hi!
    We are testing our water every evening, putting numbers in PoolMath, and adding recommended amounts of appropriate chemicals (usually just bleach). Our pool water is absolutely gorgeous and feels so silky - the best it's ever been. This is our first year with TFP, and we are loving it!
    My question is this: Every evening, our FC is about 2.4ish, so we add the recommended amount of12% chlorine. I was curious if it is ever getting back up to the FC goal of 6, so I just tested it toady at 1 pm and it is 3.2. Is it possible that our pool is bigger than we calculated (difficult to be precise with the deep end slope and oval shape)? Should we bump our size and therefore start adding more chlorine, or, since the water looks and feels so great, should we leave it alone and keep doing what we've been doing (don't fix iit if its not broken)? By the way, the pH has been consistently around 7.6. We test the other levels weekly (TA, CYA, and CH) and they have been consistently within goal range.

Thank you!
    Jill
    D&JButler
    My Pool: 20+K gal vinyl IG; Hayward sand filter with 1 HP pump; Maytronics Dolphin

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calculating size of pool

Im a stickler for specifics so I would try to calculate what the exact volume is.. If you don't have enuf chlorine in the water, it invites contaminate growth.
    there is a calculation out there (cant remember where I saw it) that uses L x W x avg depth.. Ill look around for it until someone else beats me to it....

http://www.swimmingpool.com/maintena...ume-calculator
    http://www.poolwizard.net/pool-volume/
    Last edited by cj3737; 07-14-2016 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Found link
    Inherited 24' Muskin Above ground
    13500 gal
    Hayward S180T92S Sand filter
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir
    TFPC for Beginners | Pool Math | Pool School | CYA Chart | SLAM | Test Kits | ABC's

3. Back To Top    #3

There's also a chemical method for calculating pool volume but it does use quite a bit of your TA reagents -

A Chemical Way of Calculating Pool Volume

If done right, you only have to do it once.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

PoolMath has this to say:

"If the depth varies, use the average depth of the pool. A good approximation is the shallow end depth plus the deep end depth divided by two. Irregularly shaped pools can be approximated by estimating the average length and width and using rectangular."

So I think a reasonable approximation using the calculator on pool math would be get average depth, then just give length and width of the oval.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for all the suggestions. We had already used the average depth method in our original calculations, so we will stick with that number. I hadn't heard of the chemical method…intriguing for sure. Hopefully, I think we're doing everything right.
    A related question is how much does chlorine typically drop on very hot days?
    D&JButler
    My Pool: 20+K gal vinyl IG; Hayward sand filter with 1 HP pump; Maytronics Dolphin

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by D&JButler View Post
    A related question is how much does chlorine typically drop on very hot days?
    2-4ppm
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you, again, everybody. We test our water around 8 pm and add whatever is needed according to the PoolMath calculations. Awesome tool! We have our goal FC set at 6.
    So, we checked the FC at 8 am the last 2 mornings, and it was 5.4 and 5.6. So we feel confident that everything is fine. We really, really appreciate all the encouragement, advice, information, and patience we find on this site!!! You guys are the best!!!
    D&JButler

8. Back To Top    #8

Have you tried this pool volume calculator from Pentair? Pool Volume Calculator | PENTAIR
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Marlahoutex View Post
    Have you tried this pool volume calculator from Pentair? Pool Volume Calculator | PENTAIR
    That's a great tool! I measured my 16x32 oval pool volume by reading the water meter during fill at 13,200 gals. The Pentair tool (oblong option using oval measurements) calculates 13,392 gals. My gals/IN-depth is 320 gals. So the tool is very accurate in my simple situation.
    Chas & Cheryl (first-time, second-year pool owners)
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)
    installation pics (2015-2016)