How long do I keep the pool pump running?

Hello again Eddie. No, that's not really a good estimate, nor is water turn-over rate which is also very popular. You have a couple main considerations when it comes to pump run time - mixing chemicals and surface debris. As long as you can run the pump long enough to do those things while maintaining overall good filtration & water clarity, you are good. Folks who are new to pools might start their pump run time around 8-10 hours, then adjust it back to about 7, then 6, etc until they find a spot their pool is happy with. You don't have a SWG, but your in-floor cleaning may have a suggestion or two as well for efficiency.

There is some more info on the TFP Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time page.

i went down to 4 hours for the winter and decided to just leave it there for the summer. No problems yet. Pool is a little dirtier when we go to swim, but that's because I run the pool at night when the pump won't be as hot. The "total" cleanliness of the pool is the same (it's not been accumulating dirt).

I run mine a bit more than previous years because we're getting a lot of surface debris this year (lots of trees, construction in the area, etc).

I keep my SWG on a very low setting which compensates for the long run time also.

Great reading, great advice! I am going to start playing around with the run times and see what happens. I believe I have the chlorine and PH levels stabilized. No algae right now. After I do complete testing this week I will report back on my levels. Thanks everyone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.