Very Noisy Pump

Jun 6, 2016
Regina, SK
Hello, we went on vacation for a week and came back to a very noisy pump. It is still working but extremely load. Water level was low, so raised that up. Could that be the cause? Any other troubleshooting ideas or time for a new pump?

Thanks

Yes, it would have still been running with little water. I took the motor off and inspected the impeller, it turns freely with no debris. Motor is quite hot, is that normal? As I don't remember it being that hot.

Can the bearing be replaced by itself? Is there a Hayward part for that alone? Instructions on replacing?

Thanks

Yes, bearings can be replaced, but that's a slightly more detailed DIY-type job which might require some specialty tools if you're not already equipped to do so. Often times when a motor needs to be replaced, owners will simply un-bolt and remove the motor assembly from the pump basket. Replace a seal or two, perhaps the diverter/impeller if needed, reconnect the electric, and be on their way. You should be able to Google your motor model/part number for replacements. Or you can contact Inyopools.com for some part availability. They have quite an extensive product line when you get ready.

Bearings are pretty cheap ($10 ea) and heat may be coming from one bad bearing. Id probably go the bearing route first as a fairly easy repair (although as said above, not as simple as just replacing the motor). I had mine swapped out in 30 minutes and used a simple puller from harbor freight that cost $12.

BTW had a similar issue on my 2 year old pump (just out of warranty). I also upgraded the bearings to sealed (not shielded) bearings and has been running fine for 7 years x 6 hrs a day.

If repairing or replacing motor, it's always a good idea to replace the mechanical seal while everything is apart. Sometimes a leaking seal is what actually caused the bearing failure due to water spraying into the motor and washing out the bearing grease. If so, changing out the motor won't actually fix the root of the problem and you will have a repeat failure down the road.

There are some pretty good utube videos showing how to replace the bearings and even some on how to rebuild the pumps. If you aren't real famaliar with how to do this, this will better explain it and help you decide if this is something worth tackeling or not.

BTW- shaft seal is the piece preventing water leaking around the pump shaft. Bearing is internal in the motor and requires the endbell of the motor to be removed to access it and make a repair.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.