Winterizing Questions - Can I Do This?

May 11, 2016
MD
Seems easy enough...

I think the part where it may make or break me is on the blowing the water out of the pipes... I got 2 in pool drains at the bottom... and then the 2 skimmers on opposite sides of the pool.

Where do you stick the Wet Vac to blow it out? And where does the water go? Or since they are underground pipes is this not really an issue?

I guess before i get to involved, this is the first part.

I know they put antifreeze in the pump its self.

And then there is the sand filter? leave water in it or does it drain out as well?

Re: Already trying to figure out if i want to do this

Planning ahead huh? :) Well, many folks actually disconnect their pump and take under cover in the garage or something. Yes, you remove the drain plug from the filter and let all the water out. But winterizing is unique to some pools and owners who have learned their own tricks and stuff that works best. Other swill reply, but before you got too overwhelmed, start by reading these threads below to get a good idea:
Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool
Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool
Winterizing, how do you protect the main center pool drain?
Closing an in ground pool

Ok... so.. hmmm... I think I might have just figured it out... stick the vaccum in the skimmer hole? and wait for the water to blow through the whole system which includes the pump and then out the 1 inch return tube?

I am one of those people who needs to see it done, and then can remember and do forever... I was never around when they have closed the pool the last 2 years for us, so who knows what they do...

No, first you drain the pool a bit. Maybe almost to the lower line of skimmer to allow for rain water room. You need to disconnect the pool pump if you can. Then find the valve that closes the main drain but isolates the skimmer. Screw the gizmo (a plastic thing) into the skimmer hole and leave the little gizmo plug off. Use Teflon tape around gizmo. That is where the water will shoot out of. Then you put the shop vac in the pipe where you disconnected the pool pump. You can use a wet rag or something to create a better deal. Then you blow out the water with shop vac. Pour pool anti freeze throug the gizmo home into skimmer line with a funnel. You will need about 2 gallons. Next you have to find a spot where you can disconnect a union for the outtake port after the filter so you can blow out the returns. Disconnect the pipe and put the shop vac into that pipe that returns the water to pool. Start blowing out the returns. Have another person plug the closer return then have them plug the far return. Then put antifreeze into that pipe where you just blew the returns out. Finally open the valve to the main drain pipe and blow them out as best as you can. It does not have to be perfect. Pour antifreeze. I live in Syracuse NY where temps go down to -20 sometimes. This I think is a freeze proof method. Had the pool for 3 years now. It's actually 13 years old. I don't think the pool store does such a thorough job.

- - - Updated - - -

If your pump and no unions and is hard plumbed then obviously you poor antifreeze into it as you can't remove it. The goal is to get water out of skimmer line, returns, and main drains followed by antifreeze addition. That's all.

- - - Updated - - -

If your pump and no unions and is hard plumbed then obviously you poor antifreeze into it as you can't remove it. The goal is to get water out of skimmer line, returns, and main drains followed by antifreeze addition. That's all.

ok. wow. well. I need to take pictures... but I think the pump is hard locked on with sealant. so I can figure they just used anti freeze and never did the blowing out part. Quite sure they never un plugged the pump from the plumbing as it has always been outside. The pool company put it in... and probably not thinking about making it removable.

Guess I need to figure what I can take off and what i can't... everything seems glued on, but maybe not... just scared to screw it all up.

ok. wow. well. I need to take pictures... but I think the pump is hard locked on with sealant. so I can figure they just used anti freeze and never did the blowing out part. Quite sure they never un plugged the pump from the plumbing as it has always been outside. The pool company put it in... and probably not thinking about making it removable.

Guess I need to figure what I can take off and what i can't... everything seems glued on, but maybe not... just scared to screw it all up.

Take pics of your pump, filter, and plumbing setup and let the Forum see it, so that we can help you. If your pump and filter are hard plumbed that is not a good thing in cold climates. You want to be able to remove the pump and drain the filter and blow out the lines. If things are all glued you can have a pool pro come out and put on some unions and flexible PVC so that you can disconnect things. They should not charge you more than $100-200. I would go two or more valves from the intake pipe depending on how many drains/skimmers you have. And flexible PVC tubing with a union on each side (pump - filter) so you can disconnect things in fall when you close. Look below and see how my setup is. I can disconnect the pump at the intake port, then at the output port and put it away. then I take off the flexible pipe from the filter and put it away. This way only the filter stays outside. If something happens to the multi port valve i don't care since it's only $100 or so. The line that goes away from the filter (dirty looking pipe) is the line you use to blow out returns. The other out that goes into the pump out of the ground is what you use to blow out the skimmer/main drain.

It looks like everything is hard plumbed. Then you will have to go through the pump intake port (one the vertical side of pump) to blow out the skimmer and then through the pump output port (the one on top)to blow out the returns and main drain followed by lots of antifreeze until the pump body fills with it. I think you will bed at least 6 gallons. It's cheap though. Why do people hard plumb pumps in northern climates? I don't get it.

It looks like everything is hard plumbed. Then you will have to go through the pump intake port (one the vertical side of pump) to blow out the skimmer and then through the pump output port (the one on top)to blow out the returns and main drain followed by lots of antifreeze until the pump body fills with it. I think you will bed at least 6 gallons. It's cheap though. Why do people hard plumb pumps in northern climates? I don't get it.

thanks, and mo money if something breaks?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What kind of pole do you need to help stretch the cover over the pool? i know the guys who do it use some pole... is there a certain one? I have no idea what to call it or where to find one... and i have searched the internet and then some...

funny thing is my wife explained it to me how they did it cause she was home... Is there a name for it... or just go to a hardware store and get one? She said the pipe went in the cover strap hook thing, and they place it over the inground tie down, and it just pulls on... seems easy... just don't know what to call it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.