Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it better to run the SWG at ...

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it better to run the SWG at ...

Is it better to run the swg at 35% for say 6 hours or 100% for 2 hours? I don't know whether it turns on and off if it is at a lower setting or just lowers the power used? If it is "on" for the full 6 hours, then running at 35% seems a waste of its life. I know the life is based on run time so wanted to see how it works and therefore which is the better method to run it. I have an IC40.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Is it better to run the SWG at ...

Two hours at 100%, four hours at 50%, eight at 25%, are all the same to the life of a SWG cell. The power to the cell just cycles on and off, with it being on the percentage set. It works kind of like a microwave oven. The only advantages to running longer at lower percentages are, you are adding chlorine in small doses over a longer period as it is being consumed, and the lower setting provides the ability to up your dosage by turning up the setting vs having to increase run time.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The % setting / pump run time does not really matter in terms of the life of the SWG.

There are some minor advantages to spreading out the SWG operating time, maybe even splitting it into 2+ different cycles. But there is rarely a need to run the pump for more than a few hours a day (see Determine Pump Run Time
    ) ... from a $$$ standpoint, you are better off running the pump as short a period of time as possible and just run the SWG % higher as needed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you, that was my assumption but could find no documentation.