is there a way to prevent chlorine smell at a pool party?

Agree with Bruce and thats what I do when guest are coming over. (add about an hour before they arrive then test after they leave)

That FC level of 5.5 is very close to your minimum of 5...I would make sure to add more bleach when it hits 6
at all times to be on the safe side.

Right, more bleach! My CYA is 80 and my FC is 8, before a party I add a jug of 8.25%which adds 4 ppm to the pool. Sometimes, I'll add two jugs if there are extra people, kids or we plan to swim all day and into the evening. More FC will oxidize CCs faster. And remember, it is safe to swim when FC is above minimum and up to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. As soon as FC drops below minimum the kill rate for bacteria and pathogens is too slow to fully prevent person to person disease transmission, especially in kids. Bacteria colonies can double in size in an hour if they are not killed quickly enough.

Right, more bleach! My CYA is 80 and my FC is 8, before a party I add a jug of 8.25%which adds 4 ppm to the pool. Sometimes, I'll add two jugs if there are extra people, kids or we plan to swim all day and into the evening. More FC will oxidize CCs faster. And remember, it is safe to swim when FC is above minimum and up to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. As soon as FC drops below minimum the kill rate for bacteria and pathogens is too slow to fully prevent person to person disease transmission, especially in kids. Bacteria colonies can double in size in an hour if they are not killed quickly enough.

Why is your CYA so high at 80? Wouldn't you want to drop it to 30-40 to save your FC?

Saltwater pool is recommended at 70-80. CYA protects FC from the sun and lowers daily FC burn. So, the more CYA the less your daily FC loss. In Houston you will want to be at 50.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.