Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Confused About Amount of Bleach to Add

1. Back To Top    #1

Confused About Amount of Bleach to Add

This is the third year with our Intex 22' Ultra Frame Pool. I have the Pump/SWG/Sand Filter combo. Using the PoolMath calculator based on 10,500 gallons, it says I need to add 131 oz of bleach to bring my FC to 5 with a starting point of zero. That seems awful low to me. We emptied the pool this year so I don't have any stabilizer as of yet.

Should I add more beach than what it is telling me?

Thanks.
    10K Gal Intex 22' Ultra Frame, Intex 120V Sand Filter Pump and Saltwater System, Installed 07/12/14

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Confused About Amount of Bleach to Add

Hello and welcome to TFP! Actually, I'm getting 78 ounces (2 quarts and 1 cup) of 8.25% bleach to go from zero to 5 in a 10.5K pool. Area you updating the "weight" field for your bleach percentage?

Now that I realize you have no CYA yet, I would only increase FC to 3 (47 ounces or 1 quart, 1 cup & 7 ounces). With no CYA the bleach is very strong in the water.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Adding 30 ppm of CYA should be a high priority. It will protect the chlorine from the sun and make the pool much nicer for the swimmers. Here's how to add CYA, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

make sure you don't put any commas in the volume field for your pool. just 10500
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir