Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa and distance from equipment and heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa and distance from equipment and heater

Hello. I'm new to the forum. We just chose a big company to build our pool but just before we signed on it they brought in a new designer who's a rock expert and moved our equipment over 55 feet from the spa. I am wondering if this is going to make the spa hard and expensive to heat. They said it won't. I don't trust this. They said they can't separate the heater to bring it closer to the spa. We were told that it would use more electricity because of the communication between the box and the heater and is worse than the heater being far away. Is this right? They said we could keep the equipment near the spa but it'll be loud with the 3 pumps for the grotto, slide and take up a 12x4 feet next to our patio. Help. Advice? Thanks
    Let the water and the margaritas flow!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa and distance from equipment and heater

They are correct, 55' of horizontal plumbing will have very little impact on heating or head pressure. I would move it too. Why do you think it will have an impact? It only takes a second or two for the water to move 55'. But, I am curious, if you don't trust your PB then why did you hire them?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the advice. You said you would move it too. Closer to the spa or where it is now. It's not that I don't trust him per se. He is a great designer and seems nice enough. This company is my husbands choice. I was told by another pool guy that you can spread out your equipment to save costs. Since 2 people are saying different things it makes me leary. I've never built a pool so I don't know. The company we went with said that the heater needs to be close to the spa. The new designer came in to help and moved it far away. Very confusing.

4. Back To Top    #4

I inferred that @pooldv would move the heater AWAY, too (not closer). I agree with the designer here as well. In the end, it's your money but.... It looks as if you got lucky when the new designer came on board.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, I would move the equipment away from the pool and keep the heater at the equipment pad. I am not trying to say that all PBs know what they are doing or are right. Far from that, many do not. Which is why picking the right PB is very important. Personal references are best. One you know is even better.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you guys for the advice. I'm happy this forum is here.