Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning inside skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaning inside skimmer

My skimmer on the deep end is so nasty on the inside of it. It grosses me out thinking that stuff is recirculating in my pool. Is their anyway to clean it up besides draining my water below the skimmer?
    24k gal. In-ground, vinyl. 2005 build
    Hayward Pro-Series S244T sand filter system
    Hayward motor & pump (rpm 3450,model SP2607X10)
    Polaris 280 w/booster pump.Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cleaning inside skimmer

magic eraser works pretty well except for deep crevices.
    30000 gal inground vinyl liner;sand filter w/glass media, nuvo uv, TF-100 test kit; 25 years on Baquacil, converted to TFP chlorine in 2016

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by lindz18 View Post
    My skimmer on the deep end is so nasty on the inside of it. It grosses me out thinking that stuff is recirculating in my pool. Is their anyway to clean it up besides draining my water below the skimmer?
    Why is it gross? Is it full of debris?

As others have suggested, dark discoloration of the plastic is mostly surface "crud" that is easily removed with a Magic Eraser sponge.

If your skimmer gets lots of debris, then perhaps you should use these in the skimmer basket -

Disposable Hair Net, Spun-Bonded Polypropylene, White, 100 per Bag: Science Lab Hairnets: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific

They fit over the skimmer basket and they are very good at catching debris. They are disposable and so you just pull them out and throw them away, no need to empty and clean the basket.

Is their something in there particularly troubling that is hard to clean out?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

It looks black. I assume sediment and just stained
    24k gal. In-ground, vinyl. 2005 build
    Hayward Pro-Series S244T sand filter system
    Hayward motor & pump (rpm 3450,model SP2607X10)
    Polaris 280 w/booster pump.Taylor K-2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Definitely try a Magic Eraser
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Just ME'd my black skimmers this week. Sparkly now.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!