Test Results, no CYA?

Jul 12, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
Hello,
I have a pool that hasn't been opened in a few years. It was not covered and I was finally able to get all the leaves out, but the water was still dark. I have been filtering and adding bags of shock (1# 65%) and have added a total of 12 over the course of a week. The water has turned a gray/blue color, but is very cloudy. The filter (Sand Hayward) needs backflushed every hour or so as the pressure goes from 12psi to 20psi and the amount of water being pumped is barely any. I was told to SLAM the pool so went and bought a nice test kit made by Taylor (Rebranded as Leslie's) and below are my results. The CYA test I wasn't able to get any reading as I was always able to clearly see the black circle. Does this sound normal? Anyway here are my results.

.5 ppm free chl

5ppm total chlorine
4.5 combined chl
6.8 ph
80ppm total alkality
170ppm calcium hardness

IMG_2503.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. I just wanted to verify I wasn't crazy with not getting any readings. The test kit is the Taylor K-2006, it is just rebranded as a Leslie's product. I will look for that Borax product as well to increase the PH. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.