Cheap heater

cheap to buy or cheap to run?
what fuel sources do you have?
Do you have room for and are you willing to install solar panels?

The cheapest is to simply use a solar cover and keep it on when your pool isn't being used esp at night.

Solar cover is a must for up here. Mine only comes off when we swim or the pool needs some cleaning. The keep the heat in at night and lower evaporation. Don't bother with the expensive ones, the cheap ones last just as long and are way easier to deal with. You will also chlorinate less because there is less loss to the sun. As for solar panels, I have 2 - 3'x8' panels that used to be on someone's house. I put a T in my return and send some of the water through the panels. I got them for free and they do a nice job adding heat to my pool. Before the last rain storm the pool was up to 86 degrees. It's still 80 last I looked. My pool is close to 15k gallons and is shaded part of the day.

Solar covers are generally very easy for above ground pools at least mine is. Never had an problem with anything growing on it. Just need to keep the FC at the proper level for cya. Like the other guy said I only pull it off to swim and clean. Yesterday the pool was 91 my heat pump shuts off at 86.

Attachments

• 20160702_130632.jpg
    20160702_130632.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 153
My cover is similar to the pic above. You can see the pole that goes from one side to the other side with straps hanging down. Those straps attach to the cover so you can roll it up with that poll. My reel is a couple feet away from where the corner starts on my pool so once rolled, one side needs to be picked up and moved to the side out of the way. No algae issues partly because the sun burns everything off the top side in short order. No wetness no algae. My reel looks like the first link below but there are many options. As for my solar panels, they look like the 2nd link but are taller (with no tank) and sit on the ground at one end of my pool. There are also many options for solar heating. Just hit the search button or use google images. Last link is another example, that one is pretty big but I bet does a good job.

Feherguard In Ground Pool Solar Cover Reel - Home Landscaping
Solar thermal collector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Solar Heaters - Leslies Poolapedia

Always used a solar cover with the IG pool I had at my last home.

I didn't use any cover on the current Intex pool (2nd year with it) until just a few weeks ago. I forgot how well they work. They really do help heat the pool, but even more it keeps the bugs out and it lessens evaporation. Definitely worth the cost, and I agree with the poster above that said just get a cheap solar cover because they only last a couple of years anyway and the cheaper ones are thinner and easier to deal with. I've never had an algae issue.

Here's my solar cover on my pool.

Can you run the pump (with skimmer) when the cover is on?
I run my pump through my Hayward skimmer with the cover on. My pump is strong enough to rotate the whole cover on the water surface, and the skimmer doesn't suck the cover in.

I do also have the original underwater intake plumbed into the system, just in case the skimmer would get starved of water for some reason.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Salar panels could be install on the shed. The pool is too far from the house for national gas.

Have you used the solar cover does it work?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

It looks like you are going with a solar cover (I think they are great by the way, my pool is in the high 80's with one). However, if you do decide to look at a heater, check with your propane company first. Sometimes they will not drive their trucks onto your property in order to fill your tank. That means your tank has to be close enough to the street so their fill hose can reach. My friends propane tank is a goo 40 feet from his pool, so that the fill trucks can reach it. He had to trench and run gas line from the tank to his equipment pad.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.