Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slamming an indoor pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Slamming an indoor pool

Is there any difference between slamming an indoor pool against an outdoor pool

FC 2.6
    CC 2.4
    PH 7.6
    TA 100
    CH 480
    CA 20
    Temp 30 Celsius
    10,000 gallons inground Leisure fibreglass pool, Hayward powerline pump, Quality120 glass media filter, 27kw output air source heat pump and thermal cover.
    Retractable cover with Polycarbonate roof and glass side for all year round use. K-2006C test kit and Speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Slamming an indoor pool

Not really, other than your levels will be a little lower since you normally have a lower CYA. So with a CYA of about 20, your SLAM FC value will be at about 10. You'll still want to lower pH to the 7.2-7.4 range, even though you don't expect to have a really high FC (over 10), but it is still part of the SLAM protocol. Everything else on the SLAM page should still apply. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for that
    I couldn't find anywhere on the site about indoor pools

10,000 gallons inground Leisure fibreglass pool, Hayward powerline pump, Quality120 glass media filter, 27kw output air source heat pump and thermal cover.
    Retractable cover with Polycarbonate roof and glass side for all year round use. K-2006C test kit and Speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Does anyone have a link to a pool level chemical log sheet

5. Back To Top    #5

They are in the bottom of my signature. Or are you referring that historical product known as "Jesse's Spreadsheet"?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

6. Back To Top    #6

One thing with indoor pools, when doing SLAM you don't want to go too much over SLAM level as it takes a LONG time for FC to drop if you overshoot.

Let me ask though, what is the current condition of the pool, how does it look?

Also have you been using any MPS based non chlorine shock products?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

It's a bit cloudy after doing an AA stain treatment and finishing it of with an underwater acid wash
    I have only been using sodium hypochlorite 13.5%

8. Back To Top    #8

I have virtually finished slamming but still have cloudy water which doesn't settle
    I have vacuumed but there was very little to remove
    There is a flocculant in the filter from the pump skimmer basket
    The image is at a depth of 3.5 feet
    IMG_0250.JPG
    Last edited by denniswiseman; 07-15-2016 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Missed out pump

9. Back To Top    #9

I would recommend continuing the SLAM since you do need to pass all 3 SLAM criteria (link below) - clear water being one of the requirements. As for the Floc, those products have their place at times but can also cause more problems than what they're worth - especially in a filter. If you haven't deep cleaned your filter this season I would recommend you do so following the Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter page.

Once you pass the OCLT and CCs are no more thab 0.5ppm, then you might consider adding a little DE to help your sand as noted on the Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter page. But make sure to do the deep cleaning first.

10. Back To Top    #10

How much DE should be added to the filter, so that I know how much to purchase

11. Back To Top    #11

Please reference the link provided above. You don't need much. Just enough to increase psi by one.

12. Back To Top    #12

Is the flocculant removed?

Normally you add floc directly to the pool water, let it mix for an hour and then shut the pumps off. The next day there should be a flocc'd layer of sediment on the pool floor that you vacuum out to waste. You always vacuum floc to waste, never through the filter or else you will clog the filter or, if fine enough, the sediment you flocc'd will shoot past the filter and go right back into the pool.

You should never add flocc to the filter by putting it in the skimmer. Not only can you clog up your filter but you can also over-flocc your pool water which actually CAUSES more cloudiness by resuspension of fine particles.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

13. Back To Top    #13

Being as I don't need much I have been looking on Ebay and have come across food grade Diatomaceous Earth is this the same?
    The flocculant is removed and a deep clean done on the filter. I have also started the OCLT. My indoor pool has a thermal blanket over it so it should be unaffected by the sun

14. Back To Top    #14

No, it is not. Pool filter DE is heat treated to fracture the DE particles and make them sharp and catch stuff, this is also a big part of what makes them an inhalation risk.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

15. Back To Top    #15

Like Isaac-1 said.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Do not put food grade DE in your pool, it will create a HUGE mess!!
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

16. Back To Top    #16

I'm glad I asked
    Thanks