Slope question

Jul 9, 2016
shadyside, ohio
Hello all, I am building a DIY pool kit and after laser leveling the site found that my deep end wall would be exposed 36" above grade. Not a big problem with backfill but due to the slope I am forced to build about a 4 1/2 foot retaining wall 6 feet away from the pool wall and then backfill. Any thoughts from anyone or has someone dealt with this issue? I am looking to pour concrete footer and poured concrete block retaining wall running 76 feet long.

In California a 4 1/2 foot retaining wall would require plans stamped by an engineer.

You might want to get some contractors bids and see how local contractors handle the situation. What kind and size of footer, etc. There may be construction methods that are acceptable that do not require a footer.

Why six feet away? Is it your property line or that's just to limit backfill required?

If you have more room you could stagger/tier two shorter walls to be under the height requirement that needs a engineers stamp. Shorter walls also mean you could use simpler wall blocks and no footer.

Footer will be 4000psi concrete w/rebar. 14" W and 8" D. At least that is what I was planning.

- - - Updated - - -

Why six feet away? Is it your property line or that's just to limit backfill required?

If you have more room you could stagger/tier two shorter walls to be under the height requirement that needs a engineers stamp. Shorter walls also mean you could use simpler wall blocks and no footer.

6 feet was allowing 4 feet+ for the sidewalk around the pool.

Just for kicks, you can check out our build thread in my signature. Our pool is on a substantial slope but we had a decidedly non-DIY retaining wall structure built that completely encircles the pool. It is a StoneMakers licensed method of installing concrete vertically without forms and then carving it. The wall provides support for the our deck on that side of the pool. Then the entire retaining wall (except for one corner) was backfilled against so you don't even know it's there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.