Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: caring for new plaster

1. Back To Top    #1

caring for new plaster

Hi, we just had blue surf put in today. I was wondering if you have any current pictures of your pool. Can we expect blotchy spots? I know my husband would not be a happy camper if he sees that. Also a question, when you installed it, did you need to sweep it daily and if so, for how long. Acid wash is tomorrow and I will try to ask the guys doing it but here in Southern California English is the second language so it makes it a bit difficult to communicate...

thanks!

Mod note: this post was moved from this thread

caring for new plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: caring for new plaster

Here is our link to starting up new plaster. You do need to make sure to run it by your PB as he is the one that holds the warranty card.

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

I am also giving you a set of links I share with new pool owners. I hope you find the helpful.

Print these out:
    Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here

Give us a chance to help you understand water management so the pool builders / pool services / pool stores don't snare you in their money pit traps!

Before adding any Pool $tore Potion$, be sure to ask around here. We've seen some irreversible things done to unsuspecting new owners, and we can help you avoid those!

Can't wait to see pictures of that shiny new pool with TFP sparkle!

- - - Updated - - -

...and, if you read that start-up article, there's some wiggle room on the 30-day thing, so don't let that scare you off TFP!
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

4. Back To Top    #4

I have blue surf and yes I brushed it at least once a day. How long it takes depends on the size of your pool. It really helps get rid of the plaster dust. They should give you written instructions on all of that.

I also have a tiny bit of mottling near the Main drain, but it doesn't really bother me. With the the pump running, it really is kind of hard to see. But, if you get any you can always have them come back and they can do an acid wash in that area without draining the pool.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you all for your response. I will post pictures, just need to download them into my computer. I just didn't know if you treated PebbleSheen the same as you would a plaster only pool. Marla, thank you for responding. How long did you brush your pool on a daily basis? My pool is pretty long but only 5' deep in middle and 3' deep on both sides. When I asked my contractor (not the PB) he said, no you don't need to brush it. I will call the PB directly today and ask them....

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Brush it everyday for a week. Then once a week.

Don't do anything to void your warranty, but do your best to follow all the instructions in kimkats first link in post #2.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Mary1956 View Post
    Thank you all for your response. I will post pictures, just need to download them into my computer. I just didn't know if you treated PebbleSheen the same as you would a plaster only pool. Marla, thank you for responding. How long did you brush your pool on a daily basis? My pool is pretty long but only 5' deep in middle and 3' deep on both sides. When I asked my contractor (not the PB) he said, no you don't need to brush it. I will call the PB directly today and ask them....
    Odd that they wouldn't give you any instructions upon finishing. When we replastered the bid included 30 days of maintenance by the company.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

I have Pebble Tech sheen aqua blue and the pebble finishes harden a lot faster than the regular plasters. I only brushed mine for like the first week. I need to brush my pool because I hav'nt done it in about a month and a half
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

9. Back To Top    #9

Here is a generic pool care sheet on Pebbletec's website
    Pool Care Instructions Pebble Tec

Register your pool for your warranty and they will give you contact info for support and a set of specific start up instructions for your pool and finish
    Product Registration Pebble Tec
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Well I'm a bit concerned now. The guy came for start up. Was here for 1-2 hours. Then he briefly said not to use heater. My husband asked, does the heater work? He said he couldn't get it started but that's not his specialty. He said he had to go to lunch and would be back. We needed to run to the store as we are leaving first thing tomorrow for a overnight trip to sons surprise birthday party. When we got back no guy. So we have received No instructions from anyone on what we should or shouldn't be doing. And of course everyone is closed for the weekend. I emailed the contractors office but really don't expect to hear back until Monday. And my husband just says its up to them to let us know if we need to do anything. I'm praying that by us not doing anything will not jeopardize our new PebbleSheen.

11. Back To Top    #11

Just to get you through the weekend, it's totally normal to leave heater off right now. The instructions pooldv linked are good with not much to do right now but the brushing.

Enjoy the party!!
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

12. Back To Top    #12

Pool heater cannot be used for 30 days after plaster. Same as salt. Pooldv linked you to the PebbleTec website, so those instructions should be followed for warranty purposes since your PB did not give you any others to follow.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

13. Back To Top    #13

I've emailed my contractor and my husband has texted the project manager. After the young man left on friday who was supposed to be doing the start up. The pool pump nor the filter has worked since in the installation of pool. My pool is a mess! I've been sweeping it but really doesn't seem to help since the equipment isn't working.... I at my wits end with these folks and in the email told them they needed to address this immediately. It's 8:35 and I haven't heard nor seen anyone. And I certainly don't want the kid they sent out who IMO didn't do his job and make sure everything was up and running. Am I correct in thinking this should all have been working?

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes, it should all be working. But, it is your pool and your investment and it will be in your backyard for a longtime. If the start up isn't done properly then it will make your life more difficult. The first 30 days is critical to plaster success and long life. Yes, it can be their fault and you can file warranty claims with the PB and Pebble Tec. But, ultimately balancing the water and managing your pool is your responsibility so doing nothing at this critical time is not the best path. Have you registered your warranty, gotten your start up documemts and contacted your Pebble Tec support team? They will help you even if your PB won't.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

15. Back To Top    #15

Hi,

yes, I registered my product but never received email confirmation. They said they sent another one today, but I did not receive that one either. I will be calling them in the morning. The start up,guy came out this morning and said that the pu,p was clogged with pebbles, rocks etc. he tore pump apart and found that it had cement in it that ruined the impeller.
    Got that fixed and ran our Polaris today to,try and get some of th debris off the bottom of pool. The pool guy will be back out tomorrow.

He said he doesn't have much experience with PebbleSheen so I thought I would print out the recommended levels that is here. Good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Yes, it should all be working. But, it is your pool and your investment and it will be in your backyard for a longtime. If the start up isn't done properly then it will make your life more difficult. The first 30 days is critical to plaster success and long life. Yes, it can be their fault and you can file warranty claims with the PB and Pebble Tec. But, ultimately balancing the water and managing your pool is your responsibility so doing nothing at this critical time is not the best path. Have you registered your warranty, gotten your start up documemts and contacted your Pebble Tec support team? They will help you even if your PB won't.

16. Back To Top    #16

Alright, that is some progress. Did you check your spam box in your email?

Yes, you can give him this
    Plaster
    pH 7.5-7.8
    TA 70-90+
    CH 250-350
    CYA 30-50
    TFP Moderator