Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cyclone filter DIY

1. Back To Top    #1

cyclone filter DIY

I have been trying to think of a way to make a diy cyclone filter or prefilter preferably for my in-ground pool because the multi cyclone is 400 bucks. to steep for me at the moment. So I have been consider using a cheap cyclone dust collector with a 5 gallon bucket. But these are made for air filtration. I may need a new additional hp pump. Any advice or direction toward someone that has already done this is appreciated.

Side note, I have been looking for a water pressure gauge that alerts\notifies when a set pressure has been hit. I have not been able to find any for a pool filter.

Chris
    T.I.A.
    21X41, 30,000, ig, vinyl,48sf de, 1hp hayward super pump, 2" piping, 2 skimmers, 1 main inlet, 2 return, built in 1988, no enclosure, lots of trees around, direct sun. Thanks in advance to all who have answered my questions.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: cyclone filter DIY

I use this one on my suction side cleaner, it works great but it's designed to sit in the water, it is not perfectly sealed so air can get in if it comes out of the water.. Amazon.com : Zodiac Cyclonic Automatic Pool Cleaner Leaf Catcher Canister : Patio, Lawn Garden

You can see it here, it is not very big but it does help very much..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

You could try Murphy gauges they have built in electric contacts that will trigger and alarm or light if you were to wire it up that way. The one you are looking for is a differential pressure gauge as this one is set to alarm on rising pressure. You often find these gauges on marine engines.
    http://www.fwmurphy.com/uploaded/doc...pdfs/96014.pdf

Another option is a pressure transducer and some relays/controller board but that's not a cheap option.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm considering doing a DIY solar hot water for my pool but it seems costly for irrigation tubes and even more for evac tubes. The evac tubes I seem to read that they break easy and irrigation tubes may leach more toxic chems into the pool and i do not want to use metal collectors cause i already have to much metal in the pool as is. Can someone suggest the best tube i should use as to not make my water more toxic by trying it this way?
    21X41, 30,000, ig, vinyl,48sf de, 1hp hayward super pump, 2" piping, 2 skimmers, 1 main inlet, 2 return, built in 1988, no enclosure, lots of trees around, direct sun. Thanks in advance to all who have answered my questions.