Pool pump burned out

Jul 2, 2014
Upstate NY
My 14 year old Hayward Superpump finally kicked the bucket. On top of that, one of the union nuts attaching to the diverter valve disintegrated. I am having a major pool company come in on Friday and switch it to separate new valves instead of one abs replumb that area to make the pump fit nicely and raise it an inch higher due to rain etc. they are cheap because they get a lot of business. $600 for new pump and new valves and whatever else needed. I have been adding and swirling liquid chlorine in there. The pool is a bit cloudy but not green. Will it be ok by Friday? I can't replumb myself due to work and time constraints. They should be done around noon that day and I can start circulating. Pump has been off since Tuesday night so it will be 3 days.

Just keep doing what you're doing - adding a little bleach and mixing. If you have a submersible pump that might help as well. Or you might rent one just to keep water moving better for you. Whichever is best for you. Any movement of bleach is better than nothing.

So the pool guy came out since I am constrained with time due to work during the day and put in a new Superpump and redid the plumbing. He charged me only $80 which I think is reasonable. The pool went from cloudy to clear in 6 hrs. I think the is largely due to new filter sand and laterals that I changed combined with the power of the new pump. My other 14 year old Superpump 1 hp was so hot this year then it started making a high pitched beeeep. Then a fitting broke and I said the heck with it. I bought pieces of concrete to raise the new pump and protect it from flood water when we get really strong storms. So if you can't hold your hand for more than 7 sec on the motor that means it's definitely dying. That's how mine was.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.