Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just got my test kit - now I have issues! Order of operations?

1. Back To Top    #1

Just got my test kit - now I have issues! Order of operations?

Before I got my kit I was going by Leslie's once a week recommendation, and now after my first test (only half way through the week) -

FC -0
    CC - 0
    CH - 400 (although I read it could be high when doing it by hand)
    TA - went from blue to clear/purple at 110, pink at 120
    CYA - I'd say exactly between 20 and 30 - 25?
    pH - 7.8

I know cya should be 30, and adjusting that will bring my pH down also, right, so that first before slamming? Should I just be dumping a gallon of chlorine a day in the mean time, don't want the algae to get out of control.

Kind of surprised because I have one of those floaty things in there with the chlorine puck, but I know there is algae too.

Thanks for the help!
    16500 gal IG, Plaster, Hayward 1200 cartridge, HSQ 165 (1.65hp) pump? (only thing I can still see on it), TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Just got my test kit - now I have issues! Order of operations?

Whoa

Take a deap breath. It looks like you might have confused some tests. TA has no blue (unless maybe you are color blind?)

TA is the one that starts green after adding reagents.......then count drops of the other reagent until it turns red. I know I'm leaving out the reagent numbers but you should have those in the instructions.

CYA should be done in full sunlight

Maybe 1/2 to 1 gallon of chlorine a day is ok.

Can you clarify test results?

Really cya, FC and PH are most important if we are trying to clear a green pool.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Always round up your CYA test to the next 10, so 30 is your number. Lower your PH to 7.2 and SLAM.

More here on chems and how to use them, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Here is the SLAM process, SLAM
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys, right here-http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/10845-Water-Testing-Instructions-on-One-Page, it says it can turn blue or green. Mine looked blue. Anyway, I can get the ph down with some muratic, but won't have the time I need to do the frequent fc adjustments till this weekend. Should I be putting some liquid chlorine in before I slam to try and stop the algae from spreading any more?
    16500 gal IG, Plaster, Hayward 1200 cartridge, HSQ 165 (1.65hp) pump? (only thing I can still see on it), TF100

5. Back To Top    #5

The sooner the better, test and add when you can. It is all good progress.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach