Hayward Pump Burned Out

Jul 2, 2014
Upstate NY
So my 14 year old pump finally died. On top of that one of the nuts that attaches to the 3 way diverter valve died. Due to time constraints I am having a major pool service place come out and install a new pump and replumb the piping to have 2 separate valves instead of one. They told me that is the better way to do it. I was wondering if that is the case or are they just taking the cheap way out? I would have done it the same way instead of adding only a diverter valve. I am unable to do it myself due to work. Also, I need to have a warranty on my pump so i can blame them if something goes wrong with the pump. The Hayward Superpump II 1hp and install will be around $600. Am I overpaying?

Mark,

Hayward's standard Limited Warranty for this product is one year from the date of purchase. Exclusion apply for such things as damage due to improper installation, use & care, negligence, operation and freezing. Your might want to double check this on-line.

Also, unlike some other Pump Manufacture's, I think Hayward doesn't require that the pump be purchased & installed by a Pool Company/PB.
The same 1 Yr Limited Warranty would apply if it was installed by you ... but verify this either on-line or with Customer Service.

Regarding the $600 charge ... that's not a bad price if it includes the Pump, Plumbing, Valves, and Installation.

Now .... if you expect a certain level of post installation warranty performance/support from the pool company ... you better make sure it's all spelled out in your contract. Oral agreements won't be enforceable in Small Claims Court.

So make sure you clearly spell out that:

In the event the pump has to be replaced ... it will be a "NEW" unused pump;
Use of a rebuilt, reconditioned, or re-manufactured pump is prohibited.
The Warranty Installation of a "NEW" HAYARD SUPERPUMP II 1HP PUMP must be done in ____ hours/days after notification/verification of a problem;
No substitute PUMP can be installed without your approval;
The Pump's Warranty labor is part of the contract;

If they ever have to replace the pump ... you can ask Hayward to run the Serial Number to verify that it is in fact "NEW"

Good Luck!

The pool guy came out and installed a new Hayward Superpump and two shutoff valves. The whole thing was about $668. I thought that was not a bad price. Pool cleared in 6 hrs from cloudy to sparkly after I raised chlorine to shock level. I am very satisfied with the work they did. New sand and laterals and new pump definitely make a difference. I was wasting both time and electricity before. Should have not waited until the other pump seized up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.