Cleaning up after being in a salt water pool?

Feb 21, 2012
S. California
I've always spent time using fresh water to clean off pool toys, swim suits, etc. after being in a chlorine pool. Should this still be done after being in a salt water pool? Does the chlorine in the pool still have the same affect on clothes, toys, etc.?

Thanks.

it is exactly the same, a salt water pool and chlorine pool have the same exact chlorine

you don't have to rinse off but they may last a little longer :)

Totally agree with Cowboy. Unless you have soft stone surrounding the pool. Then you might want to blast the splash zones with some freshwater to remove the salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies.

ITR, what do you mean by "Unless you have soft stone surrounding the pool. Then you might want to blast the splash zones with some freshwater to remove the salt."

1. How would the soft stone surrounding the pool make a difference?
2. What happens to the splash zones if the salt is not rinsed off?

Thanks.

There are some who speculate that salt can contribute to erosion of softer stones. I'm not sure it is true. There are lots of folks with salt and flagstone and no issues, like me. And there are folks with soft stones that are eroding but they don't have saltwater pools. I have some flagstone away from the pool in the yard that is eroding. So, the theory is that rinsing the salt off the stone might help. I don't buy it. But, it is just a little water and certainly won't hurt to rinse it off.

There are some who speculate that salt can contribute to erosion of softer stones. I'm not sure it is true. There are lots of folks with salt and flagstone and no issues, like me. And there are folks with soft stones that are eroding but they don't have saltwater pools. I have some flagstone away from the pool in the yard that is eroding. So, the theory is that rinsing the salt off the stone might help. I don't buy it. But, it is just a little water and certainly won't hurt to rinse it off.

This is really a "Deep End" topic but salt damage is a real phenomenon. This PDF goes into some really gory scientific details but it demonstrates the complexity of the subject matter -

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Eric_Doehne/publication/215758940_Salt_weathering_influence_of_evaporation_rate_supersaturation_and_crystallization_pattern/links/00b7d515106de213db000000.pdf

Whether or not stone is damaged by salt is truly a complicated matter of not only the type of stone used but also the quality of the material as well as environmental conditions and what types of salts are present.

So anyone who says that salt damage always occurs no matter what is just as wrong as the person who says it never happens. The answer lies in the middle and, unfortunately, there's no way to know before hand if it will happen and to what degree it will happen.

As to the OP's question - I have a salt pool and I always throw towels and bathing suits in the laundry when we're done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.