Away from pool for three weeks.

I just had my pool redone with a pebble tec finish and am slowly getting it up and running by following guidelines. I am going out of state for 2-3 weeks next week and have no one to take care of pool. I tried getting a pool service but all I contacted were either not dependable or did not service my area. My plan is to turn off pump while gone so I don't start sucking air due to water evaporation, Fill the floater and add a large amount of shock (3 times normal amount) to hopefully keep enough chlorine in the pool to keep it in decent shape until I return. Am I way off base with this or will this be satisfactory until I get back? Thanks for your help.

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

Sunshine will burn off the free chlorine and your pool will turn green. Using methods here you can clean it up when you get back and then keep it clean.

You need circulation, adequate chlorine dosing, and filtration to keep it clean. Your plan will reduce how bad it is when you get back, and a cover might reduce the problems a little.

If you know your average dosing over a long period of time, you could set it up in pre-measured jugs and have a house-sitter dump it in and be slightly better off.

Do something to ensure the floater doesn't sit at an edge of the pool (for example, tie it in place with rope to hold it in the middle or something).

Thanks for filling out your signature, and in any event, have a terrific vacation!!