Chlorine loss through out the day

damato300x7

Silver Supporter
May 23, 2016
Latrobe, PA
So I usually lose between 1 - 5 ppm of chlorine in any given day depending on sun and temp, over night I only lose max of .5 ppm. Is this normal? We do not keep our pool covered although we do have a solar cover just never use it, and will using the solar cover slow down the chlorine loss?

Water is crystal clear and not a sign of algae. I usually add my chlorine in the evening when I get home from work at around 530 pm. I take my Chlorine up to 6 ppm and by the time I get home from work the next day it is usually down to 1.5 - 2 ppm. I know this is low but I have no way of adding in the middle of the day.

Here is my most recent full set of test

FC - 6
CC - 0
PH - 7.6
TA - 130
CYA - 35

Thanks

For your CYA of 40 (rounding up), you should target a FC of 5 but never let it drop past 3. Average FC loss is 2-3 ppm per day, so you seem a bit much. I would perform an OCLT if you haven't already.

And since you're adding once per day, maybe shoot for FC of 7 or 8 to be safe.

Yeah I have done OCLT many times and the most I lose over nigh is 1 ppm and most nights it was only .5. The last time I did an OCLT was Monday because were away all weekend and had someone adding 2 quarts of chlorine for us per day while we were gone. Low and behold when I tested Monday morning we only lost .5 ppm. Would adding my solar cover slow down the rate of loss throughout the day?

Thanks

Would adding my solar cover slow down the rate of loss throughout the day?

If the pool is exposed to the sun, the cover will certainly help if it's NOT a clear one. (blue/black/silver etc... to block uv)

I have mine covered on weekdays and might uncover it to swim in the evening.

Right now, with no swimming this week and solar cover on (weather got cloudy/cold) I lose 1 ppm every three days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.