Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cant find light switch

1. Back To Top    #1

Cant find light switch

I have a light in my pool, but no switch. My only assumption is that is that when I turn the pool filtering on it should start and it's burned out at the moment. Could that be the case? There's only 1 switch near the pool and the homes about a 100 ft away so it cant be inside.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Cant find light switch

Quote Originally Posted by Pete23 View Post
    I have a light in my pool, but no switch. My only assumption is that is that when I turn the pool filtering on it should start and it's burned out at the moment. Could that be the case?
    I don't think so unless it had at some point been entirely disconnected. My light switch is the the small breaker box at the equipment pad.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't have a breaker box only a switch that turns the filtration system on.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Would be pretty uncommon for the light to turn on with the pump.

Do you see a light junction box anywhere near the pool or equipment? They are typically 18-24" above pool water level and have a couple pieces of conduit coming up into a square or round box. They are sometimes close to the switch or installed in a way that allows you to follow the conduit to the source.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source

5. Back To Top    #5

100' is a long run for a switch but not impossible. Also how can there not be a breaker box?
    20K gallon vinyl inground pool, Hayward Pro Series sand filter, 1 HP pump, Taylor K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by C3Cl3N3O3 View Post
    Also how can there not be a breaker box?
    It is probably fed directly from the main panel.

Sub panel or disconnect may not be required per local codes. Could be a shoddy repair job done at some point as well.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source

7. Back To Top    #7

When I lower the water agian I'll replace the light to see if my prediction is correct.

8. Back To Top    #8

You don't need to lower the water to change the bulb. The fixture comes out. You do need to turn off your main panel . There are plenty of you tube videos on changing bulbs.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Pete23 View Post
    I have a light in my pool, but no switch. My only assumption is that is that when I turn the pool filtering on it should start and it's burned out at the moment. Could that be the case? There's only 1 switch near the pool and the homes about a 100 ft away so it cant be inside.
    That would seem pretty crazy because those lights are a huge energy suck and filtration is not an exclusively nighttime activity. We were fortunate enough to have the previous owner available to give us a quick pool tutorial because our light switch is otherwise nearly impossible to locate.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

I don't know we're the power to the light is to turn off before changing the bulb in water.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

You'll want to turn the breaker off at the pool equipment.

Or, you said it's tied in to the same as the house? I'd shut whatever main breaker necessary to cut power to the pool and pool light before messing with it.

And yes, the fixtures should be able to come out without draining (mine are out of pool right now due to suspected algae behind them). Usually one screw at 12oclock to remove the fixtures. Inyo pools has a YouTube video on replacing bulbs.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html