first summer with new pool

Serious1

Silver Supporter
Jul 13, 2016
NE
We have a new pool, was put in fall of 2015. I just dosed with MA to bring PH and TA down, and I will add stabilizer tomorrow to continue to bring CYA up. I have a Taylor k2006 test kit.

Results are:
FC 14 (PB had swg set at 50%, I put it to 0%for now)
CC 0
PH 7.4 (was 8.0, added MA this afternoon by using taylor test kit suggested dose)
TA 170 (been bringing it down along with the PH, was 230 when I started adding MA 2 weeks ago)
CH 290
CYA 35 (was 0, slowly bringing it up with stabilizer)
salt 3000

Am I doing this right? When I add the MA the water shimmers, not sure if that's good or means the MA isn't dispersing enough? I poured slowly over the return when i added it, then brushed the walls and floor. We have a sport pool so the "deep" is only 5' deep where I pour the MA.

thanks for the help.

All looks right to me. Good job managing everything to target levels. Depending on your pool you could adjust your pump run time in addition to the SWG setting.

As for the shimmer, you are adding the MA in front of the return but is the return pointed down too far to disperse it? I don't add a lot of MA, but I can't say that I have ever noticed a shimmer when i do. You are using regular old 31.45% MA?

We don't have eyelets in the returns, PB said he doesn't put them on in pools that have the auto cover. Pump runs 24/7 all season long and yes I'm using regular ace hardware off the rusty shelf 31.45% MA.

I have no experience with auto covers and eyelets. The eyelets would definitely increase the pressure/velocity of the water returning to the pool and help spread the MA faster. But if they aren't good with an auto cover and you don't mind brushing I guess its moot.

Completely your call, but you don't need to run 24/7, Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time . Once your FC settles, I would leave SWG at 50% and turn pump to 12 hours/day and see if you are still happy with the clarity and skimming depending on your leaf load, etc.

I'm fine with the pump running 24/7 for the season. It costs around $35 a month.

The PB said the eyelets increase pressure on the equipment so they just don't put them in with the auto covers. He did the "we can do it if you want us too..." with the rolled eyes look. He did say that he really likes our liner, but I think what he was really seeing was the water quality.

I don't really want to add CYA until the FC drops...am I thinking about that correctly? Won't it take longer for FC to drop if CYA is higher?

It will take a little longer for FC to drop with more CYA because it will protected from the sun. But, it is safe to swim up to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

If you are happy with the skimming in the pool then no need to add eyeballs. But, I would be inclined to add them to increase water circulation around the pool.