If I were to shock...

May 9, 2015
Southern TN
This is my second season with the BBB method. This year I have a newborn and it is harder to manage. I let my FC drop to 2.5 last night (my C YA is 50). If I committed the major sin and shocked it this time as a precaution due to the time consumption of slamming, is there a way to calculate how much it would raise my CYA? How would it affect my other chemistry? Ok, everyone can attack me now. :D

As long as you use liquid chlorine (aka bleach), your cya will not be effected.Only tabs and powdered shock have cya in them. Why would I attack someone as nice as you? ;)
go to pool math at the top and input your numbers to see what amount you need. You should perform an overnight chlorine loss test to see if you need to slam, but get that fc level up now, if you haven't done so already

I reread your post and I think I misunderstood.You want to USE powdered shock, correct?
at the bottom of the pool math page, you can input whatever chemical you are using and It will tell you how much cya, for example you would be adding to the pool per amount of powdered dichlor.If you use dichlor shock, as long as you know how much cya it is adding,you will calculate how high your fc will need to be raised at you new cya level.

If you shock with 3 pounds of trichlor in your 24,000 gallon pool, it will raise your CYA by 8.3 and your FC by 14. But you can just raise your FC by adding bleach and not worry about the CYA.

- - - Updated - - -

Four 121oz bottles of 8.25% bleach will raise your FC by 13, which about the same effect as the 3 pounds of trichlor, but without the CYA.

Thanks for all that info. The reason I was looking to shock with powdered shock was because I didn't want to have to spend the time keeping my FC up to shock level due to having a newborn and a 3 yo. It is quite crazy around here at the moment. Tired Momma!!!

Your FC levels will drop just as fast after using the powdered shock as when using bleach. It just depends on how much stuff is in your water for the chlorine to act upon. The powdered shock is not a once and done treatment. You will still need to test and keep putting chlorine in your water as long as it is being consumed by bacteria/algae and other contaminates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.