Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: If I were to shock...

1. Back To Top    #1

If I were to shock...

This is my second season with the BBB method. This year I have a newborn and it is harder to manage. I let my FC drop to 2.5 last night (my C YA is 50). If I committed the major sin and shocked it this time as a precaution due to the time consumption of slamming, is there a way to calculate how much it would raise my CYA? How would it affect my other chemistry? Ok, everyone can attack me now.
    24k gal. In-ground, vinyl. 2005 build
    Hayward Pro-Series S244T sand filter system
    Hayward motor & pump (rpm 3450,model SP2607X10)
    Polaris 280 w/booster pump.Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: If I were to shock...

As long as you use liquid chlorine (aka bleach), your cya will not be effected.Only tabs and powdered shock have cya in them. Why would I attack someone as nice as you?
    go to pool math at the top and input your numbers to see what amount you need. You should perform an overnight chlorine loss test to see if you need to slam, but get that fc level up now, if you haven't done so already

I reread your post and I think I misunderstood.You want to USE powdered shock, correct?
    at the bottom of the pool math page, you can input whatever chemical you are using and It will tell you how much cya, for example you would be adding to the pool per amount of powdered dichlor.If you use dichlor shock, as long as you know how much cya it is adding,you will calculate how high your fc will need to be raised at you new cya level.
    INTEX AGP 15'x 48", 4440 gals.,INTEX 2650 gph pump w/ 16" sand filter, Hayward widemouth skimmer,INTEX SWG-CS8110, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark vac w/ leaf canister, INTEX floating LED pool light, solar cover with polaris solar reel, Access pool steps 200600T, TF 100 test kit, "The Slime Bag" x-tra polishing 18" x 30"

3. Back To Top    #3

The reason you should attack me is because what I am asking is if i shock it with powdered shock, not slam how much should i expect my cya to go up.

4. Back To Top    #4

what is the weight on the bag? input that into pool math and it will tell you how much cya it adds
    INTEX AGP 15'x 48", 4440 gals.,INTEX 2650 gph pump w/ 16" sand filter, Hayward widemouth skimmer,INTEX SWG-CS8110, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark vac w/ leaf canister, INTEX floating LED pool light, solar cover with polaris solar reel, Access pool steps 200600T, TF 100 test kit, "The Slime Bag" x-tra polishing 18" x 30"

5. Back To Top    #5

If you shock with 3 pounds of trichlor in your 24,000 gallon pool, it will raise your CYA by 8.3 and your FC by 14. But you can just raise your FC by adding bleach and not worry about the CYA.

- - - Updated - - -

Four 121oz bottles of 8.25% bleach will raise your FC by 13, which about the same effect as the 3 pounds of trichlor, but without the CYA.
    24,200 gal., IG vinyl, 18' x 36' rectangular, average depth 5'. K-2006C
    Jandy SFTM22 sand filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump, Doheny's Discovery Robot.
    One skimmer, one main drain, two eyeball jets, and one return from the booster pump.
    One wife of 26 years (schoolteacher, first grade), four kids (ages 14,16,17, and 19).
    I work night shift (Pediatric RN) so most of my posts will be during the night.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all that info. The reason I was looking to shock with powdered shock was because I didn't want to have to spend the time keeping my FC up to shock level due to having a newborn and a 3 yo. It is quite crazy around here at the moment. Tired Momma!!!

7. Back To Top    #7

Your FC levels will drop just as fast after using the powdered shock as when using bleach. It just depends on how much stuff is in your water for the chlorine to act upon. The powdered shock is not a once and done treatment. You will still need to test and keep putting chlorine in your water as long as it is being consumed by bacteria/algae and other contaminates.
    24,200 gal., IG vinyl, 18' x 36' rectangular, average depth 5'. K-2006C
    Jandy SFTM22 sand filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump, Doheny's Discovery Robot.
    One skimmer, one main drain, two eyeball jets, and one return from the booster pump.
    One wife of 26 years (schoolteacher, first grade), four kids (ages 14,16,17, and 19).
    I work night shift (Pediatric RN) so most of my posts will be during the night.