Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Grand Slam

1. Back To Top    #1

Midlothian, TX

Grand Slam

Ok, so I just passed the TFP SLAM procedure and test this Tuesday (as in, two days ago). Now I get home from work today and my FC is 0 and my pool is milky. So far I've done a backwash and dumped some bleach in there. Having done that an hour ago, here are my current readings:

CL = 5 ppm
    CA = 300 ppm
    Alk = 180
    CYA = 30
    ph = 8.2 (I had to add some tap water, which has a high ph. I'm adding acid to bring this down now)
    Salt = 2900

I've also read that to bring the TA down that I need to lower the ph and then aerate it to raise the ph and then my TA will drop. I've been aerating for about a week now and TA stays exactly the same. So...I'm going to lower ph. But as far as the pool being milky and the FC dropping to 0, where do we go from here? I don't need to SLAM again, do I?
    9800 Gallon, In-Ground, Fiberglass, sand filter, Pump - Sta-Rite SuperMax 1.5 HP Model Number PHK2RA6F-103L, SWG - Optimum Pool Technologies Simple Cell, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: Grand Slam

The question is why did your FC drop to zero?

If the pool is milky, then yes, you likely do need to SLAM again. You must maintain proper FC to avoid algae getting started again. Chlorine is a consumable that must be replenished and tested for daily.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3
    Florence, MS

Re: Grand Slam

Have you been adding bleach daily since you ended your SLAM to maintain your recommended FC level? If so, there has to be a reason your FC dropped to zero so fast, and if the water is cloudy, then yes, you probably do need to SLAM again.
    24,200 gal., IG vinyl, 18' x 36' rectangular, average depth 5'. K-2006C
    Jandy SFTM22 sand filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump, Doheny's Discovery Robot.
    One skimmer, one main drain, two eyeball jets, and one return from the booster pump.
    One wife of 26 years (schoolteacher, first grade), four kids (ages 14,16,17, and 19).
    I work night shift (Pediatric RN) so most of my posts will be during the night.