New Pool with Sand & Saltwater system

Welcome to TFP.

If set up properly it will begin making chlorine immediately, but as it will take a while for it to build up to levels you need, it would be best to "help" by starting at the correct level with liquid chlorine. The SWG just needs to keep up at that point.

Thank you. I was told by Intex not to add Chlorine, however, our pool store that tests our water said to add chlorine and handed me a bag of granulated chlorine. I was worried that the added chlorine could damage the salt water system?
Thank you

Well, I'll jut add a little more information.....

If you have read around here much you have probably seen that not much credence is given to pool store testing. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. In my case two different pool stores told me my CYA was "fine", around 70 or 80. When I tested myself I found it over 200.

We teach a completely different method of pool care, and to follow the pool care methods taught here you need to arm yourself with the knowledge and tools necessary to care for your pool.

The knowledge is condensed in the Pool School link at the top of every page. It is a great community here, but we do ask that you read and try to understand the information being taught. Questions are always welcome and folks will try to direct you and teach you the methods.

The tools are not limited to the brushes, vacuum hoses and other stuff you use around the pool, but include the most important item - one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run? Here at TFP we are going to ask for photos so we can see the condition of the water and are going to ask for a full set of test results.

Hi Tim,
In reading in the Pool School I fund this -
If you have a salt water chlorine generator, chlorine tablet dispenser, injection pump, or Liquidator, you will still need to use another chlorine source for SLAMing. All of these devices are designed to add chlorine slowly and steadily over many hours. To kill algae or lower CC, you need to put in lots of chlorine all at once. The SWG, tablet dispenser, injection pump, or Liquidator can be very helpful in the follow up stages to maintain FC at shock level, but for the initial couple of chlorine applications, you need to use another chlorine source.
What type of chlorine source should I use for our SWG?
Thank you

We would most likely recommend liquid chlorine or plain old unscented bleach but without knowing your CYA level it's hard to say what chlorine level to target until the SWG is keeping up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.