Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: circulation

1. Back To Top    #1

circulation

Hello, I am new to pool ownership and was wondering if circulation was a big deal. I have a 36 x 18 pool with only 1 skimmer, 4 returns and no bottom drain.

What way should I point the returns so I get maximum efficiency out of them?

MS paint for reference.
    poolpaint.jpg

Thanks for any advice.
    Mike G.
    18 x 36 24,000 in ground liner pool. built 1978, New liner in 2016. DE filter, DFW Texas, Taylor k-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: circulation

hhmmm no returns on the other side eh?

I wonder if having the one by the diving board turned left and the right one turned to the right would create
    a flow that would converge to the center and down directly to the skimmer.

either that or both to the right or left to get a circle of flow going.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Sometimes you have to wonder what builders were thinking when they installed plumbing..... even in '78 I'm no rocket scientist, but I don't see any ideal way to move water towards the skimmer. Not having a main drain is not the issue either, it's all about surface water movement, and the positioning of those jets simply doesn't make sense. Maybe just aim the shallow end out as much as possible, then try moving the jets on each side of the skimmer towards the corner across from it "in hopes" that the water will want to make a loop back inwards towards the skimmer. It's a shot in the dark I know. I hope your prevailing winds blow towards the skimmer. Say, you're in a perfect position to grab a few ping pong balls and toss them on the water. Experiment with the return jet directions and watch the movement of those on the water. Maybe you'll get lucky with a decent set-up.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I agree with those above...very poor return placement. Give this a shot:

Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 1.00.07 PM.jpg
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the suggestions! I like the ping pong ball idea. I think ill buy a few and watch for patterns and adjust accordingly.
    18 x 36 24,000 in ground liner pool. built 1978, New liner in 2016. DE filter, DFW Texas, Taylor k-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

If I point my returns to the bottom of the pool it actually pushes the water across the bottom of the pool, up the side, and back across the surface. I like the ping pong ball idea though, sounds like fun. Maybe a nurf gun thrown in there and you've got a good party game!
    40x20 in ground, 33,000 gal, vinyl liner, Hayward 300lb pro series sand filter, Hayward 1.5hp super pump, aquabot xtreme, chlorine