Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool boy costs

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool boy costs

Prior to finding TFP, and making my own pool sparkling clean and clear, we were going to have a pool guy come out to take a look at our pool but got the answer they were way too busy to come out and look. I know prices are different everywhere but Im looking for a concensus on what it may cost someone to come out and test and or clean so if the situation arises for friends in need. I would like to tell them how much money can be saved by doing it our way....

Anyone??
    Inherited 24' Muskin Above ground
    13500 gal
    Hayward S180T92S Sand filter
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir
    TFPC for Beginners | Pool Math | Pool School | CYA Chart | SLAM | Test Kits | ABC's

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool boy costs

For a rental house, in Punta Gorda, FL I was quoted $95/month, including chemicals, weekly service. Here lots of people have pools, and its a year-round season, and pool services are all over the place.
    Phil
    ~9600 gal gunite pool, NEW July 2015; Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST pump; Pentair C&C 150 filter; Pentair Intelliclor IC40 swg; solar heat w/ Pentair Solartouch controller, screened. Taylor K 2005 test kit, FAS-DPD separate test, Taylor K1766 salt test

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by flipr View Post
    For a rental house, in Punta Gorda, FL I was quoted $95/month, including chemicals, weekly service. Here lots of people have pools, and its a year-round season, and pool services are all over the place.
    What a difference a thousand or so miles makes. I'm always astonished at the sheer volume of pool service options whenever I visit Florida. In the next-to-no-competition world of Chicago $95 won't get you a week of service, it's closer to $150/week.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Pool boy costs

In Tucson AZ it varies. The range I have heard from friends that use services is anywhere from $1000/year on the low end (that would be a scary looking guy with a beat up pickup truck, broken English and a telescoping skimmer pole...a definitely a few missing teeth) to $1,500/year for the brand name services. But that's just a low end, weekly service with basic chemicals. If they have to fix any problems or troubleshoot equipment, then you pay extra for all of that.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

In Southern Nevada we pay $65 per month. No chemicals included but they do add acid when needed. Weekly visits. Mainly to keep it clean. We travel some so works for us.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa
    Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflow 3050VS Pump and Pentair HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!
    Marty

6. Back To Top    #6

If all you want is chemical "balance" (which I use very loosely), in Tucson I think you can get that for about $45/mo (almost cheaper that you can do it yourself ... but the water quality greatly suffers). However, that is not any brushing, skimmer / filter cleaning, etc.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Interesting about the varied costs per week to take care of the pool depending on locale. Geez....guess I better start paying myself for all the work I've been doing over the past 27 years....LOL
    12,000 gal. Anthony IG pool; 3 ft. shallow end to 6 ft. deep end; Built 1989; Renovated July 2014 using a 10-part unexposed quartz plaster aggregate of 3 S-grade Blue, 3 S-grade Gray, 2 T-grade Blue, 2 T-grade Gray; Apollo VA-52 DE Filter; Hayward SP-2607X10 Super Pump 1-HP Single Speed; Jandy AE-Ti Heat Pump; Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    If all you want is chemical "balance" (which I use very loosely)....
    That sent a shiver up my spine I can only imagine what that water looks like...
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

That is from one of the big companies in town. I think they only come every other week now too. Crazy high CYA and wild FC swings.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

I worked for a pool service company for about 1 1/2 years (in the office). We charged between $60-80 per month for our pool service which included netting the surface, emptying the skimmer, brushing, testing and all chemicals weekly. This was before I had a pool and knowing what I do now I think the guys did a pretty good job. They actually tried to explain to customers how their CYA levels had gotten so high after going to the pool stores for years. Most of the customers though didn't care and refused to drain their pools. Their rationale was that if the pool looked okay than it must be okay.
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

11. Back To Top    #11

I asked a mate here (AU$1.00 = ~US$0.75) who said he was paying $90 per week including chemicals (SWG though), emptying baskets, filter cleaning, partial brushing and leaving the robot in when he left.

I also asked a mate who runs a pool service. All weekly based... they start at $50 plus chemicals. $75 plus chemicals includes brushing/vacuuming at their discretion. $100 per week plus chemicals gets brushed and vacuumed every time. They empty skimmers, clean filters as needed. They add $10 to $20 if there's a spa, pool cover, or other complexity. They leave a card with recommendations if pools need anything significant or extraordinary. Customers can turn service on/off any time they like. New customer or past customer things like clearing a bad pool, stain removal, etc. are quoted. Plumbing/equipment repairs/upgrades are done by hourly rate plus materials.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners