Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is lower FC ok if CC stays at 0?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is lower FC ok if CC stays at 0?

I have a new pool and I've spent a ton of time on this site and follow the recommendations. I have read and understand the Chlorine/CYA chart. My CYA is around 50 and I usually bump my FC to 5 PPM each night and my CC is always 0 when I maintain 5 PPM each night.

There have been times when I've maintained 3 PPM in the evenings. When I do that, FC is usually around 1 or 1.5 the next evening and CC are still 0 or barely registering, so under .5, and once I dose it to 3 PPM, by the next morning CC is zero and the next evening my FC is back down to around 1 or 1.5.

So, my question is, even though the CL/CYA Chart says I should maintain 4-6 PPM of Cl if my CYA is 50, am I okay maintaining 3 PPM if my CC is consistently at 0 or occasionally rises to .5 or less then goes to zero once I add Cl? This is also assuming all my other numbers (Ph, TA, etc) are in line.
    ~21,000 gallons (from my water meter on fill day); 17' x 39' free form IG Plaster; Jandy Pro Series Cartridge Filter; Jandy VS FloPro 2.7 THP Variable-Speed Pump; Install completed June 2016

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is lower FC ok if CC stays at 0?

0 CC doesn't necessarily mean the pool is sanitary. IMO, you are skirting the edge of being unsanitary, a risk I certainly wouldn't take.

Just my 2 cents.....
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

3. Back To Top    #3

Why would you want to do that? I would think it's to save $$$ since you will end up adding chlorine on a daily basis anyway so it's not to save time. I wouldn't want somebody to get sick because I decided to save a few bucks. One of my reputations within the family (one of the good ones) is how clean my pool always looks and feels.....and I want to keep it that way.
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Here's what I do based on my CYA of 50. I go about 1-2ppm above the target FC level that's recommended in the Chlorine/CYA chart. I add whatever amount (according to the pool calculator) of bleach that's needed at night to get me to 8 ppm when I test in the morning. That's my 1.5 cents on the matter.

Also my CC has always been 0.
    AGP: 21' x 52" : 10,000 gallon
    100 lb. Sand Filter / 1 hp pump
    11-5 full sun

5. Back To Top    #5

Those levels of FC are recommended for a reason. Being recommendations, you can take them or leave them. And I'm not as smart as the people who came up with them so I'm going to stick to them. I'll keep my FC above minimum at all times. Meaning, it never drops below the minimum by the next dosing. That way there is always enough FC to deal with anything that gets in my water.
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

6. Back To Top    #6

you could keep it lower if you could somehow guarantee that the pool's exposure to contaminants would never change or spike at any time. But since that is impossible to tightly control, best to leave some wiggle room.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

7. Back To Top    #7

It is important to maintain FC above minimum at all times. When FC drops below minimum the pool is unsanitary because the kill rate for bacteria, viruses and pathogens is not sufficient to prevent person to person disease transmission, especially in kids. The purpose of chlorine is to sanitize the pool, it is just a fringe benefit that it also kills algae. Bacteria colonies can double in size in an hour or two without proper chlorine levels.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

As PoolDv states above its important for sanitary reasons to keep your pool within the guidelines. So I have a Stenner pump. My pool gets a measured dose of chlorine every day, exactly the same amount. My problem is that God and the clouds he controls do not have the consistency of a Stenner pump. I want to stay on the low end of the guidelines. So what I have found is that if I dose just above the guidelines I generally will not drop below the guidelines. CC is just measuring some of the products of various reactions in your pool, its a canary in the coal mine, but like the canary it means something is happening, but not what is happening.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks all, I really appreciate the helpful feedback! I'll target the recommended levels.
    ~21,000 gallons (from my water meter on fill day); 17' x 39' free form IG Plaster; Jandy Pro Series Cartridge Filter; Jandy VS FloPro 2.7 THP Variable-Speed Pump; Install completed June 2016