Tested water with new Taylor K-2006- help with results

Sep 17, 2014
Nazareth PA
I recently purchased the Taylor K-2006 test as I do not entirely trust the kids at the PS reading my water. I am new to owning a pool as of 2015 so I still feel unsure of numbers and where I truly need to be. I have read pool school but sometimes all the info is overwhelming and is easier to ask a question.

I used a YouTube to figure how how to use the Taylor test kit and I was hoping to have 2 questions answered
1. Are my numbers normal/good or do I need to make adjustments?
2. The test did not have a Total Chlorine test- I just tested for FC and CC. Did I miss the TC or doesn't this test have it? Should I be testing for TC?

My water is clear, looks good, however, I do feel like it is a little slippery. So hard to tell if that's normal or is it the start of an issue. Maybe it's just salt water that makes the liner slippery (smoother water)? And how would I decipher if I am on the verge of an outbreak? Ok so that is 3 questions I guess!

FC- 5 to 5.2 (giving myself room for error)
CC- 1 to 1.6 " "
PH- 7.8
Alkalinity- 90-100
Calcium Hardness- 60
CYA 50
Salt 3200

That CC is troubling. I would start a SLAM right away. Lower the pH to 7.2 first.

e: Total chlorine is FC + CC. Don't worry about posting TC :)

total chlorine TC is free chlorine FC + combined chloromines CC
FC + CC = TC
so 6 ppm tc is what you have
Normally, SWG cya recommendation is 60 to 80
Your cc is high and may indicate a SLAM in your future, but an expert will chime in soon, I'm sure

Fc is a little low for a CYA of 50 Should be closer to 6 or slightly above
PH is on the high end but still ok
CC is way up which is why your pool feels slippery.. there is something in the water
Sounds like some brushing and a good slam is in your future

TC is a by-product of FC+CC. Don't be worried about TC. FC and CC is key

Follow the SLAM procedures word for word and you will be set up for success
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

Thanks for responses. I did read SLAM but I still don't understand the steps needed. I am not sure how to get my readings to where they need to be.
So far, I understand that I need to lower PH. If I add the MA, how long do I have to wait to SLAM after adding MA?
Then after lowering PH to 7.2-7.5, what do I do to SLAM for SWG to get it to "shock level?" And then am I testing frequently for FC or CC or both as I am shocking the pool? Sorry, clearly I am a newbie. Thanks for the help

For the duration of the SLAM you turn off your SWG and just manually add chlorine to get to the SLAM level and stay there as best as possible through the day. Yep, test, add, test add to stay at whatever your SLAM level is (20 for CYA of 50)

Thanks for responses. I did read SLAM but I still don't understand the steps needed. I am not sure how to get my readings to where they need to be.
So far, I understand that I need to lower PH. If I add the MA, how long do I have to wait to SLAM after adding MA?
Then after lowering PH to 7.2-7.5, what do I do to SLAM for SWG to get it to "shock level?" And then am I testing frequently for FC or CC or both as I am shocking the pool? Sorry, clearly I am a newbie. Thanks for the help

Like MrB says... turn off your SWG for the duration...
Add the required amount of MA to bring your PH down... Wait about 30 min for the acid to disperse then blast up your FC level. Since your CC is high, test every hour or 2 to maintain your FC shock level. Once the gunk in the water starts to die off and filter out, your cc will start to come down and your FC will not drop as fast. When it gets down to .5 CC you can think about doing the OCLT but not until then. Keep a good eye on your water clarity too. As the algae dies off it may cloud up the water so keep brushing during the slam.

Once your water is clear, CC is less than .5 you can start the OCLT
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/136-perform-the-overnight-fc-chlorine-loss-test-oclt

If you post your results during the slam, some one on here may be able to guide you if any questions arise

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Among other things, it muddies the water. It's better to know exactly how much chlorine you are adding and losing without the SWG "helping". Since the SWG runs when the pump runs, and the pump runs 24/7 during a SLAM, how do you know when you passed an OCLT :)

Oh my gosh, I thought of one last thing. What if I have my SWG chlorine output up too high thusly making my FC high? I had it on 85-90%. Should I back off of the percentage before I SLAM to see if that is why my FC and CC is on the high side? Won't SLAMing just make the FC and CC higher?

AND I went to pool store to have them check my water and THEIR results are:
FC 4
TC 4
CYA 80
PH 8
TA 110
CH 110
Salt 3200

So their results conflict with mine. UGHHHH!! I did just add some dry acid to pool to lower PH.

Stay away from the pool store.... Trust your results. they may have used tap water for all you know...

Just shut off the SWG now and use bleach until your slam is over...You are right on the edge.

FC is what you are adding with the SWG and bleach.. CC is what happens when the bleach kills the contaminants

And run your pump the entire slam as well...Itll help take out microscopic debris

Oh my gosh, I thought of one last thing. What if I have my SWG chlorine output up too high thusly making my FC high?

Higher FC is better than lower FC. I wouldn't mess with the settings until after the slam... you will have a sparkling pool and room to play with it once your clear and sanitary. If you FC gets too low, you run the risk of things growing again.. My target is 6 but I dabble in the 6-8 range when adding bleach. FC will always come down until you add more

Higher FC is better than lower FC. I wouldn't mess with the settings until after the slam... you will have a sparkling pool and room to play with it once your clear and sanitary. If you FC gets too low, you run the risk of things growing again.. My target is 6 but I dabble in the 6-8 range when adding bleach. FC will always come down until you add more

Ok so I went back and re-did some of the tests just to take out user error since it had been the first time using. Here is what I got consistently:
FC 6
CC 0 (no change in color)
TC 6
PH 7.6 (just added 2 lbs of dry acid in 1 hour intervals- 1 pd per hour)
Alkalinity- 90
CYA 40

Should I still SLAM. THank you thank you for responding. I know I am a PITA

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.