Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Buried Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Buried Pool

Hey everyone,

I have a home built in 1956. We want to out in an inground pool in the backyard. During conversation with the neighbor he showed me a brochure of my home from when it was used as a model home in the 50's on the parade of homes. He was given the brochure from the people he bought the house from. In the brochure they show the backyard of the house very similar to how it is now but there is a swimming pool back there. I know it will cost the same amount to restore the pool as to build a new one so I am prepared for that expense. I'm just wondering how I find exactly where the pool was. I know the general spot from the pictures. Where do you think I even start? I'm pretty sure the pool was filled in sometime in the 60's or 70's.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Buried Pool

Probing with metal rods or hiring a private utility location service. To be honest, it's not going to cost the same, it's going to cost more than a pool built from scratch.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP! Feel free to chronicle your effort in the thread.

Here's some inspiration for you...they hand dug out this pool, though they did already know where it was.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ol-resurection

And further to Tim's comment...

http://www.groundpenetratingradarwis....com/index.htm
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

Cool project! We've had a few pool restorations here. Always very interesting. One from the 50s will be great. Create a Photobucket account so you can post lots of pics. Copy the IMG code to the right of the pic and paste it in your post to embed the pic in your thread.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Very cool project. Please post your home's brochure and lots of backyard pics! We live for pictures here
    14x28 IG Rounded Rectangle, 6" aqua tile, White plaster, Gray Acrylic deck, Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair TR100 C Commercial Sand Filter, Stenner Econ T (NaCIO), Zodiac Baracuda Cleaner (coming soon), 4' Baja Step (18"), aerator jets, 3-step InterFab SS Ladder

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, post the brochure pic so we can all help you figure out where your pool is hidden!!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

7. Back To Top    #7

We'll help you start digging
    14x28 IG Rounded Rectangle, 6" aqua tile, White plaster, Gray Acrylic deck, Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair TR100 C Commercial Sand Filter, Stenner Econ T (NaCIO), Zodiac Baracuda Cleaner (coming soon), 4' Baja Step (18"), aerator jets, 3-step InterFab SS Ladder