First TF100 test on newly filled pool!

z33tec

Jul 7, 2016
NY
My pool was just installed last week and I just got my TF100 test kit this week. I've only added 1 jug of liquid chlorine and 1 lb of stabilizer so far. I think it said a pool my size will need about 3 lbs total to bring the CYA up, so I know I still need to work on that. Just looking for some guidance on what to be adding initially here other than more CYA:

FC: 4.5
TA: 170
CYA: Under 20
pH: 7.2

I think I'm shooting for getting CYA up first and then making sure pH is up near 7.5-7.8? FC will need to then be adjusted based on CYA levels, per the chart?

Let me know if I'm on the right track or what I should be trying to bring up first. This test was just done this morning, so I won't be adding anything again until tonight.

Thanks!

Then you're good to go. CYA of 30 should be good for NY. Watch that pH, with that high of a TA it may want to rise. Worry about that later.

Congrats on being prepared and being TroubleFree out of the gate before having any problems.

Does CYA testing only work when it's sunny?

I'm having some trouble figuring out the CYA testing (TF100 kit). Initially, the test was pretty much clear. I've added the recommended 3 lbs of granules (based on the package) to my new pool and the test has gotten "cloudier" over the black dot, but I still see the dot.

I saw someone reference that light needs to be hitting the test tube in order to illuminate the suspended particles. I have been doing the test indoors or on my patio. Should I only be doing the test when it's sunny out? I'm not going to add any more CYA because I'm guessing that after the recommended 3 lbs I am at more than 20 by now.

Any tips? Should the black dot really fully "disappear"? :confused:

Thanks!

Re: Does CYA testing only work when it's sunny?

The test should be conducted outdoors, sunny day with the the sun over your shoulder. Yes, the do should be totally obscured.

You say you followed the directions, but what was your target and whose directions. Ours or the package?

Did you calculate the amount added using Pool Math?

It would help if you described exactly how you added the CYA.

Pool Math shows that to go from 0 CYA to 30 CYA you pool would need 60oz by weight of CYA which is near the bottom of CYA testing. You didn't add that much, so seeing cloudy reagent but still seeing the dot sounds right.

The test should be conducted outdoors, sunny day with the the sun over your shoulder. Yes, the do should be totally obscured.

You say you followed the directions, but what was your target and whose directions. Ours or the package?

Did you calculate the amount added using Pool Math?

It would help if you described exactly how you added the CYA.

Pool Math shows that to go from 0 CYA to 30 CYA you pool would need 60oz by weight of CYA which is near the bottom of CYA testing. You didn't add that much, so seeing cloudy reagent but still seeing the dot sounds right.

I was following the packages recommendations for the stabilizer just to get the new pool going. Guess I should have compared them to the pool math calculator as well.

I added the stabilizer granules to the skimmer basket and let the filter run all day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I was following the packages recommendations for the stabilizer just to get the new pool going. Guess I should have compared them to the pool math calculator as well.

I added the stabilizer granules to the skimmer basket and let the filter run all day.
Did you backwash your filter anytime after you added the CYA?

Don't backwash that filter for at least a week, you will just flush out the undissolved CYA.

At TFP we recommend putting the CYA in a sock, and hang it in front of a return jet or put the sock in the skimmer basket.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Dom

Yes, I saw that recommendation, and had read some debate on which was best and it seemed both methods were safe as long as you kept the filter running for a while after and didn't backwash. I didn't have a spare sock on hand so I just went with the skimmer option. I will try the sock method next time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.