Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First TF100 test on newly filled pool!

1. Back To Top    #1

First TF100 test on newly filled pool!

My pool was just installed last week and I just got my TF100 test kit this week. I've only added 1 jug of liquid chlorine and 1 lb of stabilizer so far. I think it said a pool my size will need about 3 lbs total to bring the CYA up, so I know I still need to work on that. Just looking for some guidance on what to be adding initially here other than more CYA:

FC: 4.5
    TA: 170
    CYA: Under 20
    pH: 7.2

I think I'm shooting for getting CYA up first and then making sure pH is up near 7.5-7.8? FC will need to then be adjusted based on CYA levels, per the chart?

Let me know if I'm on the right track or what I should be trying to bring up first. This test was just done this morning, so I won't be adding anything again until tonight.

Thanks!
    24' round AGP - 15,200 Gallons - Hayward Sand Filter - Hayward Swimpro LX Pump 1HP - Vinyl Liner

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: First TF100 test on newly filled pool!

Hold off on pH right now. Yes, get a little more CYA in there.

Those numbers aren't bad, how does the water look?
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    Hold off on pH right now. Yes, get a little more CYA in there.

Those numbers aren't bad, how does the water look?
    Water is crystal clear.
    24' round AGP - 15,200 Gallons - Hayward Sand Filter - Hayward Swimpro LX Pump 1HP - Vinyl Liner

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Then you're good to go. CYA of 30 should be good for NY. Watch that pH, with that high of a TA it may want to rise. Worry about that later.

Congrats on being prepared and being TroubleFree out of the gate before having any problems.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    Then you're good to go. CYA of 30 should be good for NY. Watch that pH, with that high of a TA it may want to rise. Worry about that later.

Congrats on being prepared and being TroubleFree out of the gate before having any problems.
    Awesome! Thanks for the help.

6. Back To Top    #6

The assumption is that your CC is zero or at least <0.5 ppm since you didn't post. Can you confirm? Thanks.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Just be careful adding stabilizer for your CYA increase... Since you are unsure of your actual level below 20, add enuf to increase by levels of 10. you don't want to overshoot...
    Inherited 24' Muskin Above ground
    13500 gal
    Hayward S180T92S Sand filter
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir
    TFPC for Beginners | Pool Math | Pool School | CYA Chart | SLAM | Test Kits | ABC's

8. Back To Top    #8

Does CYA testing only work when it's sunny?

I'm having some trouble figuring out the CYA testing (TF100 kit). Initially, the test was pretty much clear. I've added the recommended 3 lbs of granules (based on the package) to my new pool and the test has gotten "cloudier" over the black dot, but I still see the dot.

I saw someone reference that light needs to be hitting the test tube in order to illuminate the suspended particles. I have been doing the test indoors or on my patio. Should I only be doing the test when it's sunny out? I'm not going to add any more CYA because I'm guessing that after the recommended 3 lbs I am at more than 20 by now.

Any tips? Should the black dot really fully "disappear"?

Thanks!

9. Back To Top    #9

Re: Does CYA testing only work when it's sunny?

The test should be conducted outdoors, sunny day with the the sun over your shoulder. Yes, the do should be totally obscured.

You say you followed the directions, but what was your target and whose directions. Ours or the package?

Did you calculate the amount added using Pool Math?

It would help if you described exactly how you added the CYA.

Pool Math shows that to go from 0 CYA to 30 CYA you pool would need 60oz by weight of CYA which is near the bottom of CYA testing. You didn't add that much, so seeing cloudy reagent but still seeing the dot sounds right.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    The test should be conducted outdoors, sunny day with the the sun over your shoulder. Yes, the do should be totally obscured.

You say you followed the directions, but what was your target and whose directions. Ours or the package?

Did you calculate the amount added using Pool Math?

It would help if you described exactly how you added the CYA.

Pool Math shows that to go from 0 CYA to 30 CYA you pool would need 60oz by weight of CYA which is near the bottom of CYA testing. You didn't add that much, so seeing cloudy reagent but still seeing the dot sounds right.
    I was following the packages recommendations for the stabilizer just to get the new pool going. Guess I should have compared them to the pool math calculator as well.

I added the stabilizer granules to the skimmer basket and let the filter run all day.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by z33tec View Post
    I was following the packages recommendations for the stabilizer just to get the new pool going. Guess I should have compared them to the pool math calculator as well.

I added the stabilizer granules to the skimmer basket and let the filter run all day.
    Did you backwash your filter anytime after you added the CYA?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Did you backwash your filter anytime after you added the CYA?
    No, brand new pool so I haven't back washed yet. Assuming it doesn't need that just yet.

Sounds like I will have to re-test outside during the day when it's sunny. Thanks!

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Don't backwash that filter for at least a week, you will just flush out the undissolved CYA.

At TFP we recommend putting the CYA in a sock, and hang it in front of a return jet or put the sock in the skimmer basket.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    Don't backwash that filter for at least a week, you will just flush out the undissolved CYA.

At TFP we recommend putting the CYA in a sock, and hang it in front of a return jet or put the sock in the skimmer basket.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Dom
    Yes, I saw that recommendation, and had read some debate on which was best and it seemed both methods were safe as long as you kept the filter running for a while after and didn't backwash. I didn't have a spare sock on hand so I just went with the skimmer option. I will try the sock method next time.