Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA during a SLAM

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA during a SLAM

I've started the SLAM process. My question is do I need to check my CYA levels DURING the SLAM and adjust chlorine accordingly or just stay concerned about keeping pool at shock level? I already checked it before starting the SLAM along with my other levels and adjusted where needed.
    Thanks!
    21k gal, AG vinyl Radiant pool, 1.5 hp whisperflo pump, 24" sand filter, inline chlorinator,
    Installed 2012, no well water or water restrictions.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: CYA during a SLAM

You do not need to recheck the CYA unless you have a large loss of water and a refill. Basically, you just check FC and CC during a SLAM, as the PH is inaccurate when the FC is over 10. After you pass all three criteria for ending your SLAM you can recheck everything after the FC comes down.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Unless you have big water exchanges (lots of vacuuming to waste, for instance) your CYA will stay the same so no need to test often.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

4. Back To Top    #4

Great! Thank you! Another question, when I vacuum, should I be vacuuming on the waste cycle to avoid the water exchange? Will the dead algae hurt my filter?
    21k gal, AG vinyl Radiant pool, 1.5 hp whisperflo pump, 24" sand filter, inline chlorinator,
    Installed 2012, no well water or water restrictions.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

It should not hurt it, but it may make you need to backwash sooner. You should backwash when your psi rises 25% over the "clean" pressure.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!