Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raising FC

1. Back To Top    #1

Raising FC

Fc is 1
    cc is 2
    cya 70 -can't test until Friday, one week after I added Cya but that was my target
    Need to get my Fc to 5. I have a Swg should I add liquid bleach to raise it?
    Above ground intex 24x 52 Swg with sand filter pump. Well water. New started the end of May. 11,600 gallons. Test kit TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raising FC

Some questions for you before you do anything else:
    - How did you add the stabilizer?
    - When did you add the stabilizer and why do you think you have to wait until Friday?
    - How does your water look (hazy, green, perfectly clear?)

I ask because your CC is elevated which is a warning sign you may need to SLAM first. Best to do that at a lower CYA level before popping it up for your SWG. But yes, you can always use regular bleach to help augment your SWG.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Perfectly clear. I added with a sock in front of my return. I thought you had to wait a week to test for cya levels.

- - - Updated - - -

Last Friday is when I added the cya.
    Above ground intex 24x 52 Swg with sand filter pump. Well water. New started the end of May. 11,600 gallons. Test kit TF100

4. Back To Top    #4

The week rule was revised this year after some extensive testing. So if the sock was all dissolved last Friday, you should be able to test now. We estimate most CYA should be testable in 24-48 hours. So good - clear water. Nice. Then yes, definitely add some bleach to get your FC up until you get the SWG dialed-in the way you want it. Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes that helps. Thank you. You all here at TFP always do help me and many others.

6. Back To Top    #6

Do I still run my Swg when I add the bleach?

7. Back To Top    #7

Sure. You can have it going so you can continuously adjust percentage and/or run time to get the FC production you need. At some point, you'll get it the way you want it so you can back-off of the bleach.

8. Back To Top    #8

Retested this morning after adding liquid chlorinater Fc-5, cc-1. Should I be concerned about cc?

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

If the water is crystal clear, I don't think you need to go into a full on SLAM. I'd raise the FC up a little over target and let that work all day. Check it again late this afternoon, we should be sunny today so I have a feeling that CC should burn off and you should be good.

If you want to be 100% sure, you could do an OCLT tonight (with the SWG off) to see where you are.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

10. Back To Top    #10

If it were me, I would bump the FC up just a bit to help drop the CC and test again in a little while. ITs already come down a bit so a little more chlorine will help take care of whatever is causing your elevated CC level.
    Inherited 24' Muskin Above ground
    13500 gal
    Hayward S180T92S Sand filter
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir
    TFPC for Beginners | Pool Math | Pool School | CYA Chart | SLAM | Test Kits | ABC's

11. Back To Top    #11

To raise my fc up higher could you recommend a number please?

12. Back To Top    #12

I would go up to 9 so you can still get a good PH reading... FC will migrate back down over time. It that doesnt take care of it, it may be time to slam

then do the oclt tonight
    13500 gal
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir
    TFPC for Beginners | Pool Math | Pool School | CYA Chart | SLAM | Test Kits | ABC's

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Maximum FC loss for a hot sunny summer day like we should have today would be <= 4. If you are at 5 this morning, I would add 1/2 gallon of 10% (that's what I get in Pool Math for 11.6k, rounding up. Please check behind me and adjust for your bleach strength) to get to 9. If you were below 5 late this afternoon, that would be indicative of a problem.

e: wow
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

14. Back To Top    #14

Take a look at your pool volume too... 24' x 54" deep shows 15,200 gal
    I have a 24' x 48" that holds 13500
    13500 gal
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir

15. Back To Top    #15

I probably need to do the OCLT tonight. Since I never slammed my pool when I started it. But I did add liquid chlorine to bring it up to a 9.

16. Back To Top    #16

Hopefully it passes...Keep us posted!
    13500 gal
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir

17. Back To Top    #17

I did the OCLT test last night my fc was 7, cc 1. This morning fc3, cc 1. Time to slam. My ph is 7.5. Going to retest my cya 3 days ago it was about 60. When I slam do I leave my Swg off?

18. Back To Top    #18

Yes, it's usually best to leave the SWG off during a SLAM and just maintain the higher FC level with regular bleach.

19. Back To Top    #19

I am waiting till this late this afternoon to slam. I will test FC again and go from there.

20. Back To Top    #20

Once I get my FC up to 24, how often do I need to test?