Grantsboro NC
Total chlorine 7
Free chlorine 6.5
Combined chlorine .5
Calcium hardness 150
Total alkalinity 310
Cya 50
Salt content 2200

Just used the tf100 yester and am fighting some alge/green tinted water. My vacuum is on order. I'm new and don't know what to do lol.

Now that you are able to test properly, your next order of business would be a SLAM (link below) for algae. But I'm curious and have to ask ....... are you sure it's algae? Your numbers don't look all that bad. Is the water a cloudy green, or it is a clear/transparent green? Are you on a well? I want to rule-out metals in your water. Can you post a pic of the water perhaps?

Good choice of test kit and welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

If you're fighting algae, it's time to kill it. This is the procedure Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Other water balance aspects can be dealt with after the SLAM.

It's a good time to read: Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

And learn to use PoolMath (link at the top of this page)

Ask lots of questions and we're happy to help you get your pool clear.

Your situation is tricky to know if it's algae or metal. "Hard" water is not a factor right now so much as if they have any metals in it. Your water is a clear green which might indicate metal, but you also confirm debris in the bottom of the pool which, if it has been there a while, would certainly contribute to organic build-up/algae.

To SLAM means you would need to increase your FC to "20" and maintain it until the algae is killed and you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. But if it's metal, the elevated FC will only make the green more prominent and could cause the metal to try and precipitate-out onto the pool surfaces. You also had good test results above which make me hesitate to confirm one way or the other. So a pic may help.

PH wasn't listed above, so if you do move-forward to begin the SLAM and go the algae route, make sure to adjust pH to about 7.2 before beginning. If you're curious about metals, you could take a water sample from your hose (not the pool) to the pool store and have them do a free test. Just take the report and leave and let us know if they show any iron/copper. You haven't added any algaecides in the past have you?

Okay, if we're sure it's algae, then a SLAM is your course of action. Just follow the instructions on the SLAM page and it should take care of it for you. Remember to lower pH to 7.2 before starting! If you have any questions about the SLAM, or if something should change later to make you think it is indeed a metals issue, let us know. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.