I'm three weeks into being an above ground pool owner and got shocked tonight. I have an Intex 16' with the 1500 gph pump and an swg. I was standing on very wet ground playing around with hose configurations (duel inlets) so I could vacuum. The pump was on but the swg was not. I touched the Intex return valve to shut the flow off when it shocked me. It was a hard constant jolt until I let it go.
I buried #8 copper wire 18" away and 4" deep around the pool a few days ago and attached it with copper bonding lugs with stainless steel screws to four of the sixteen pool uprights. I coiled the remaining 6-8 feet and buried it under the concrete pavers that the pump and swg are sitting on. I have not bonded the water yet as I haven't decided if I am going to install a thru wall skimmer yet.
Is the lack of water bonding the reason I felt the shock?
Is there a way to bond the Intex pump and the swg?
I do not want anyone else to get shocked so is there anything else I need to concern myself with to provide a safe environment to ourselves and guests?
I unplugged the pump and swg tonight since i will have a couple friends of mine in the backyard tomorrow finishing my privacy fence. Furthermore, I am going to follow the wire of the exterior outlet the pool equipment is plugged into to make sure it is properly grounded; I know not all of my outlets are grounded in a 50+ year old house. I am on pier and beam so this is easy.
Thanks everyone and thank you for pool school!