Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool pump plumbing question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool pump plumbing question

My Union nut that connects to the diverter valve has finally cracked. I was able to remove the pipe from the pump. I think the pump just does not fit flush on the diverter valve receiving end. Is it ok to have an elbow or two plumbed to the intake port of pump or does it have to be a straight pipe running into the pump from the diverter valve? Maybe I should use flexible tubing by screwing a nipple into the intake port and a if they have a nipple that attaches to the diverter valve. I have to get it fixed tomorrow so the water can circulate.
    Circa 20,000 gal IGP, 12 years old, Hayward SP2607X10, 1 hp single speed pump, Hayward S244T Sand filter, vinyl liner, using Aquacheck test strips and Taylor K-2006 Test Kit, 1 skimmer, 1 bottom drain, 2 jets (near stairs and on the opposite deep end)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool pump plumbing question

Hello Mark. I see you haven't gotten any bites on your thread yet. It's been a couple days so you might already have this completed. But in general .. yes, the ideal way would be to have about 6 " or so of straight pipe going to your intake. Flexible tubing can be a little tricky and unpredictable, so I'd be careful with that as well. If you still need help, let us know or perhaps post a pic of your set-up so we can see it better. Maybe some others will reply after bumping this thread up a bit.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yea, thanks..I was going to 1/2 - a.. it until the weekend and then redo it but I ended up going to buy all the parts from the pool store and they guy said he would do it for $80 if I buy all the stuff from them and give them the old pump. I honestly did not need the old pump anyway since it burned out. So I got a good deal on it all $668 all together and new valves and plumbing. I had no time to do it myself unfortunately.

Circa 20,000 gal IGP, 12 years old, Hayward SP2607X10, 1 hp single speed pump, Hayward S244T Sand filter, vinyl liner, using Aquacheck test strips and Taylor K-2006 Test Kit, 1 skimmer, 1 bottom drain, 2 jets (near stairs and on the opposite deep end)

4. Back To Top    #4

Glad it worked-out for you.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!