Raypak heater issue

Morth

Jul 12, 2016
Brecksville, OH
Hello all, my name is Mike and first time I am posting a question. I have an above ground pool with a Raypak 156a 150000 BTU heater. Only 1 year old. Has been working well but yesterday I started getting an ignition failure. The spark starts, it will light but seems late (meaning you can hear it lite about a second after the spark stops), then goes out immediately then back to spark. It seems like there is a pause between spark, late lite, and it does not register that it is been lit and turns gas off and starts ignition cycle again. Also, seems like sometimes it takes 2-3 sparks to light briefly then off again. I hope I am explaining to where you all understand. I thank you greatly for any ideas or solutions.

It could be a few things. Natural or propane gas? If propane, make sure your tank is full. Next, check inside and make sure everything seems ok. Make sure no mice have made any home inside the unit or chewed any wires.

It could be a few things. Natural or propane gas? If propane, make sure your tank is full. Next, check inside and make sure everything seems ok. Make sure no mice have made any home inside the unit or chewed any wires.

Thank you for your response. It is natural gas. I did take the burner out to make sure the igniter was clean. Not sure how it is supposed to look but I noticed that the outer ends of the burner was corroded a little and the ends of several of the individual cross burners were open. Looked like they should be sealed. I will have to look at a new one to see the difference.

The ends of the burners that face the back of the heater should be closed. Looks like they are crimped or folded over, but they should be closed off. If that end is open you have an issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.