Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex sand filter drain/backwash fitting size question

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex sand filter drain/backwash fitting size question

Just curious, on the Intex sand filter pumps, is the drain/backwash outlet the same non standard thread as the pool inlet and outlet fittings?

Thanks,
    David

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex sand filter drain/backwash fitting size question

Yes, all the connections on the filter and pump are the same Intex thread.
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

3. Back To Top    #3

And so is the actual drain on the bottom edge of the pool. That ain't no standard garden hose connection...... I had to drain some water to get rid of a hi salt issue. I went to connect a garden hose to the drain plug..... no can do.... AArrgh..... I don't want to drain water right next to the pool, so I used the backwash & rinse settings on the sand filter/pump. Now this worked fine for what I was doing, but when it comes time to drain the water down past all the plumbing for winter storage.....
    Bill (aka CR172) 16' x 48" (5300 gal) Intex Ultra Frame AGP, 2150 GPH 14" Intex sand filter/pump, Intex CS7110 SWG, Intex under water magnetic pool light, Hayward SP1091LX skimmer, Confer Roll guard safety ladder, TF-100 test kit w/ AquaCheck salt test strips.

4. Back To Top    #4

Best way to drain for winter is to buy a cheap submersible drainpump. Or pump to waste down to outlet level and siphon the last few inches with a hose over the side.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the info! The reason I asked, I'm trying to find a source of the Intex collar nuts, without having to buy hoses, or other accessories, just to scavenge them. I was looking at the drain caps, as a possible source, if the centers were cut out.

David

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by CR172 View Post
    And so is the actual drain on the bottom edge of the pool. That ain't no standard garden hose connection...... I had to drain some water to get rid of a hi salt issue. I went to connect a garden hose to the drain plug..... no can do.... AArrgh..... I don't want to drain water right next to the pool, so I used the backwash & rinse settings on the sand filter/pump. Now this worked fine for what I was doing, but when it comes time to drain the water down past all the plumbing for winter storage.....
    I use a sump pump. It's my backup in case my house sump pump goes out, but I also used it to drain down my in ground pool at my last home, and I use it to drain down my Intex pool for winter storage. I have a long flexible hose attached to it, to direct the water away from my house & pool. Works great! And works quickly!
    Karan - 18 ft round x 48" high - Intex ultra-frame AGP, Intex 3/4 hp pump with 14" sand filter (SF70110), Hayward 900 Wanda the Whale cleaner, Intex LED water fountain.
    18ft Round Intex Ultra Frame in The Mitten

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by astrowolf67 View Post
    Thanks for the info! The reason I asked, I'm trying to find a source of the Intex collar nuts, without having to buy hoses, or other accessories, just to scavenge them. I was looking at the drain caps, as a possible source, if the centers were cut out.

David
    you can buy all Intex parts as spares here: Replacement Parts - Above Ground Pools - Store - Intex

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by CR172 View Post
    I find this observation quite interesting in the evolution of the Intex pool. I bought my pool last year and it has garden hose sized drains on it. I bet a pool with 40mm drains would empty out fairly quickly!
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........