Slam time! Clear this up for me

Mar 24, 2015
Biloxi, MS
Just back back in from a weeks vacation and my pool is quite cloudy so from hours of reading and searching Im quite sure its mustard algae. 16,000 gallon gunite pool with SWG and petair triton ii sand filter.

This evenings readings were as follows: using Taylor K-2006 test kit

FC - 1.5
CC - 0.5
PH - 7
TA - 20
CH - 250
CYA - 30

Pretty jacked up so my questions before I start Slamming tomorrow are:

1. Do i need to bring all other levels back to their recommend levels before starting the SLAM? Or do i focus on the SLAM to control algae and then worry about the other levels.
2. I could still see the black dot at the bottom after doing CYA test. Does this mean my CYA could be 0 ?
3. If CYA is 0, what would my shock level be for that.

Thanks for your input!

In order to begin your SLAM, consider the following:
- PH is already good.
- CYA needs to be at least 30. You can raise by adding stabilizer in increments of 10 or 20 ppm if you're not sure, but you need at least 30.
- Once the stabilizer (CYA) is soaking, increase FC to "12" and keep it there until you pass the 3 criteria on the SLAM page (link below).

Let us know if you have anymore questions. Good luck.

To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.