Very high chlorine and alkalinity

jrh

Jul 23, 2013
My brother-in-law followed the recommendations of a local pool store, and his pool is now messed up. I tested his pool with my TF-100 test kit and got the following results. The pool is a small 2,500 gal above ground. The water is currently cloudy.

FC= 23.0
CC= 0.5
pH= 7.2
CH= 175
TA= 300
CYA= 20

Temp: 78 degrees

When I plug the numbers into the pool calculator, it shows a CSI of 0.1.

What is the best way to lower the chlorine level? Hydrogen peroxide or sodium thiosulfate? The pool gets about 7 to 8 hours of direct sunlight each day.

Should the TA be lowered? Is the only way to do that the acid/aeration process?

jrh, since your brother-in-laws pool is less than 3K in size, you should refer to the Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools. It's really meant for those kind of pools that can just be dumped and refilled rather quickly. But to answer your basic questions:
- FC will just drop quickly on its own. I wouldn't add anything
- CSI should not apply to his above ground pool (no plaster)
- TA lowered? For a plaster pool perhaps, or a pool much larger. But for this one, I wouldn't worry about it right now. Once you refer to the seasonal guide, you'll see the most important issues are FC, CYA, and pH. But yes - acid/aeration is how we lower TA. :)

Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.