My friends pool is very cloudy, please help!

eostrike

Silver Supporter
Mar 14, 2016
Chino Hills, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello pool family,

So I have my pool dialed in very well but my friend who has an older pool is having an issue. His water is so cloudy that you cannot see a few feet down. I will post what his results are and maybe you can point us in the right direction. I think he will need to drain maybe 50% and refill to start but I’ll let the pros chime in before I make these recommendations to him.

He DOES NOT have a SWG. His pool is roughly 14,400 gallons and uses a sand filter.

FC – 1
CC - .5
pH – 7.4
TA – 80
CH – 530
CYA – 90

We put in 10 cups of 10% liquid chlorine which brought it up to FC 7.5/CC .5.

He does use those chlorine tablets that float in the pool which I understand puts more CYA in the pool. I think he may need to get rid of these right away.

I think his pH and TA are within reason but CYA and CH are possibly a bit to high, thoughts? Chlorine is way to low and for this reason I had them raise it up before I left their house. I will go back tomorrow and recheck.

Hello pool family,

So I have my pool dialed in very well but my friend who has an older pool is having an issue. His water is so cloudy that you cannot see a few feet down. I will post what his results are and maybe you can point us in the right direction. I think he will need to drain maybe 50% and refill to start but I’ll let the pros chime in before I make these recommendations to him.

He DOES NOT have a SWG. His pool is roughly 14,400 gallons and uses a sand filter.

FC – 1
CC - .5
pH – 7.4
TA – 80
CH – 530
CYA – 90

We put in 10 cups of 10% liquid chlorine which brought it up to FC 7.5/CC .5.

He does use those chlorine tablets that float in the pool which I understand puts more CYA in the pool. I think he may need to get rid of these right away.

I think his pH and TA are within reason but CYA and CH are possibly a bit to high, thoughts? Chlorine is way to low and for this reason I had them raise it up before I left their house. I will go back tomorrow and recheck.

I agree with draining to reduce CYA. CH might be reduced in the process. Then SLAM is in order.

Is your friend willing to possibly convert his pool management from using chlorine tabs in a floater? If not, you will find yourself spinning your wheels trying to help.

I am going to try and get him to remove the tabs. In this current state is the pool safe to swim in? Thanks for being the first to reply. Look forward to hearing everyone's opinion. I only have experience on my pool and have it dialed in but this is an issue I need help with.

I agree with draining to reduce CYA. CH might be reduced in the process. Then SLAM is in order.

Is your friend willing to possibly convert his pool management from using chlorine tabs in a floater? If not, you will find yourself spinning your wheels trying to help.

If you can't see the bottom of the pool through the cloudiness it is unsafe to swim in.

That not being an issue- you can swim in an FC up to SLAM level for the relevant CYA level. If it is 90 at the moment that would be 35 FC. But if you drain the pool to lower the CYA obviously that number would change.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.