Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wedding cake stairs are an algae trap.

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy Wedding cake stairs are an algae trap.

We chose to put a set of wedding cake stairs in our above ground pool for easier access for kids and husband with replaced knee. We had an algae bloom and it was throughout the inside of the stairs. I've removed them and scrubbed them and SLAMmed the pool. Water is back to clear and beautiful.

Can I ever put the stairs back in?

What can I use to weigh them down that won't harbor algae?

Is there another type of easy access stair?

We're really disappointed.
    TerriP
    27'x54" AGP - 2HP Hayward SWIMPRO LX PUMP - SW150 Hayward SWIMPRO Voyager Element Tank- - Dyna-Skim Wide Mouth Skimmer SP1091WM - Aquaray vaccuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wedding cake stairs are an algae trap.

Can you tell us what steps you have. Some designs have better circulation under and through them than others. Also there are things you can do improve the circulation in and around most of them.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I use one of these collapsible water jugs filled with sand to weigh down my stairs.It's cheap,sturdy and stays algae free.Just dry sand ( left over from my sand filter)
    The inside of the jug is sealed well from the pool water so no algae!

Coleman 2.5-Gallon Expandable Water Carrier, White, Plastic - Walmart.com
    INTEX AGP 15'x 48", 4440 gals.,INTEX 2650 gph pump w/ 16" sand filter, Hayward widemouth skimmer,INTEX SWG-CS8110, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark vac w/ leaf canister, INTEX floating LED pool light, solar cover with polaris solar reel, Access pool steps 200600T, TF 100 test kit, "The Slime Bag" x-tra polishing 18" x 30"

4. Back To Top    #4

My stairs have a brace that goes from side to side and sits just about on the floor of the pool. I zip tie a small clear rubbermaid type bucket (with drainage holes drilled) to this piece and then throw enough clean 10 pound rocks in the bucket to keep the stairs from floating. There's 5 or 6 softball size rocks in there, no issues thus far. I've been doing this for maybe 7 years. I remove the steps before winter.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

5. Back To Top    #5

[QUOTE=TerriP;1091656]We chose to put a set of wedding cake stairs in our above ground pool for easier access for kids and husband with replaced knee. We had an algae bloom and it was throughout the inside of the stairs. I've removed them and scrubbed them and SLAMmed the pool. Water is back to clear and beautiful.

What can I use to weigh them down that won't harbor algae?

This year we made weights out of 3" pvc, 24 "long, filled with cement and glued end caps and eyebolts attached. (look on pinterest, they also make these to weigh down tents) We made 4. Two hang from the sides of the steps with attached rope and two are in the inside bottom of stairs with very long attached rope for easy removal at closing time. I also use a grey plumbers mat (normally used for under showers during construction) cut to fit for a mat for under the stairs. My water looks good but i am not passing OCLT and using a lot of chlorine during the day so I am definitely fighting something.
    13,500 AG 24 round, Hayward Xstream cartridge filter w Swimpro voyager filtration series,
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump, Install 2013, Taylor K-2006, auto trichlor feeder, Hayward Dave the Diver cleaner,
    City water, BBB

6. Back To Top    #6

Question Re: Wedding cake stairs are an algae trap.

I'm having the same problem it seems.. According to this website, I think I'm doing everything right, except I know I'm not cleaning "inside" the stairs.. I think this is what I have:
    Drop In Step for Above Ground Pools - PoolSupplies.com
    and in looking around online, I bet I know one HUGE problem.. These stairs fill with water to avoid floating, but others I see online have plugs to forever separate the inside water from the pool, whereas mine is just open, but there is probably essentially no water flow..

Is this typically a problem, and if so, does someone have recommendations for similar stairs that dont create an algae resort?!

When I get home from work today, I guess I'm going to pull the stairs out, and work on cleaning them, while hopefully the pool will get clean in the meantime without them. I'd gladly buy new stairs if it will fix the problem, since I've spent more on chemicals in the last week than the stairs cost!

-Steve

7. Back To Top    #7

I got to thinking about this issue the other day as i tend to overthink alot of things....my pool has been good all summer keep in mind but got to thinking about the water in the stair treds and how to get fresh treated water in them. So last evening when the wife was done vacuuming the pool i told her i need to get in the pool with the vac head disconnected. The steps have small holes on each side of the treads so i thought if i hold the vac hose on one of the holes and suck in treated water through the other that this may help. Better than taking the steps out and only took about 15 min.
    These are the steps i have
    24' x 52" VINYL AG 15,200 GAL.
    HAYWARD POWER FLOW LX 1.5 HP
    HAYWARD SAND FILTER
    Taylor K-2006

8. Back To Top    #8

Those stairs look nice.. Unless they're hollow, they look to me like there's less "hiding spaces" for the water to sit still..

I did pull the stairs out, and the water that came out was NOTICEABLY more dark green than my green pool water, so I'm hopeful this was the source. I'll leave them out while the pool clears, and then make some determination as to what to do longer term..

-Steve
    Above ground, round 24' "Radiant" brand insulated pool with 2hp pump and a sand filter
    Mount Airy, MD

9. Back To Top    #9

So who is going to come up with the million dollar solution? After knee replacement, my husband needs something more sturdy than a ladder to enter and exit the pool. Won't be building a deck until next year.

TerriP
    27'x54" AGP - 2HP Hayward SWIMPRO LX PUMP - SW150 Hayward SWIMPRO Voyager Element Tank- - Dyna-Skim Wide Mouth Skimmer SP1091WM - Aquaray vaccuum

10. Back To Top    #10

For now use a turkey baster to shoot chlorine water into the steps. Of course that is after you have super cleaned them.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

We had a few years with wedding steps and Algae. I got rid of them and then switched to a set that look like stairs, but they have vents on both sides to let water pass through. I did not have any issues after we got rid of them. Good luck!
    SunCountry
    South Phila PA area.

Sundance Spa; Chelsea (468 gallons). Former 28ft AGP owner for 20 years.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by suncountry View Post
    I got rid of them and then switched to a set that look like stairs, but they have vents on both sides to let water pass through.
    Dont happen to have any pictures, or reference to what you got that worked for you, do you? I'd love to buy something that will work based on someone's experience rather than just guessing by looking at them..
    Above ground, round 24' "Radiant" brand insulated pool with 2hp pump and a sand filter
    Mount Airy, MD

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

I like to pour a little chlorine in behind my step and use my brush to "swish" it around weekly. I also attach a cloth to a short pole and swim down to brush underneath and in between the stairs, etc. it seems to be working.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

14. Back To Top    #14

As I said in post #2, if you can tell us what steps you have, we may be able to tell you what to do to weigh them down as well as modify them to keep the circulation good behind them.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by 172pilot View Post
    Dont happen to have any pictures, or reference to what you got that worked for you, do you? I'd love to buy something that will work based on someone's experience rather than just guessing by looking at them..
    This is what we bought. They were really nice! Amazon.com : Confer Plastics Access Pool Step : Swimming Pool Ladders : Patio, Lawn Garden
    SunCountry
    South Phila PA area.

Sundance Spa; Chelsea (468 gallons). Former 28ft AGP owner for 20 years.

16. Back To Top    #16

Here's a link to a thread I started some time ago about our stairs. If you scroll to the end of the thread you can see pictures of the holes I drilled in the stairs. I used a drill motor and a 2" hole saw. My maintenance on the stairs for the last two years has been to pull the stairs out twice a week when I brush the pool and let the water drain, brush the pool and then put the stairs back in. I do nothing else to the stairs. They are always clean.

Brown Dust / Stairs
    33' diameter, 25,000 gal Above Ground Pool
    Pentair Dynamo 1.0 hp, 2 speed pump (#340204)
    Pentair Sand Dollar 60 filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by RussH View Post
    My maintenance on the stairs for the last two years has been to pull the stairs out twice a week
    Thanks for those pics and info.. My stairs are way too heavy to take them out twice a week... just isn't going to happen.. I'm lucky if I find time to get into the pool twice a week!

I ordered new stairs today.. ones that dont have "compartments" to store water in the same way.. The old stairs have been cleaned and I guess I'll put them back in since it'll be close to a week before I get the new ones, but I can't wait to switch forever!

Pool is clear now and robot is cleaning the last remaining bits off the bottom now.. I gave it a good manual vacuuming and brushing yesterday and although I dont yet have my good test kit (maybe tomorrow?!) I dont think I'm losing too much FC right now.. (I'm diluting 2:1 just to get in range of my typical test strips, and keeping "slam" levels 'till I can be sure)

Thanks all!!
    Steve
    Mount Airy, MD

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by suncountry View Post
    same ones we have.
    only thing is, the way our bottom is, they don't sit totally flat. always makes me wonder if I need to put a pad under the back side. have tried moving multiple times. Only way for mine to be flat is having six inches away from the pool edge (about 3-4" now).
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

19. Back To Top    #19

image.jpg
    Heres one pic
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TerriP

20. Back To Top    #20

I you want you could cut a few more holes in the middle step and you could also support some weights from the holes as well.

One thing that will help the circulation is to place the vacuum hose over the holes for a couple of minutes whenever you vacuum the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast