New pool test results

Mar 26, 2016
Beaumont
On Sunday I got our 24' pool filled up and followed some directions I found that Texas Splash had posted. He said to get stabilizer and chlorine so I got 8 lbs of stabilizer and 5 jugs of 10% chlorine. I followed the pool calculator for them and added 81 oz stabilizer via the sock method and 57 oz of chlorine and got a pH of 7.8 and the chlorine/bromine was 3/6. I ran out of time Sunday to post anything up but managed to get a test the pool yesterday and again got a pH of 7.8 and chlorine/bromine was 3/6. Today after I got home I tested everything in the kit and here is what I got.

Total chlorline/ Total bromine: .5/1
pH: 8
Alkalanity:250
Hardness: Couldn't get a result. The indicator turned the water blue/purple right away instead of red like the instructions said. And then when I added the titrant it took 5 drops to turn it blue. :mad:
And finally the CYA was about 47.

I just went back on the pool calculator and added the recommended chlorine to bring the chlorine back in to range.

Why did the chlorine drop to almost nothing in the last 24 hours but not the previous 24 hours? And what do I need to do next to get these results where they need to be?

You need to raise your TA. This will also raise your already high pH, but raise the TA first, then adjust the pH accordingly. TA should be between 50 and 90 for non-SWG pools. CYA is on the high side if you don't have a SWG. Also put pool type, size, etc in your sig line so that we know what kind of pool. Do you have a salt water generator? If so, your CYA is low.

Chlorine dropped most likely because something is using it up.

If it helps this is a water quality report I just got from the city.

JiVURFsh.jpg

Ok. my experiencer has been that extreme outliers like that I goofed on the test. :) If it really is that high, then use the link I gave you to lower it. it may take a while, like weeks, to get it down. In the mean time continue to chlorinate the pool. You will probably have high pH until the TA is under control.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
#1 You might want to go to the "pool school" and read the "Getting Started" page. It will help you get answers faster if you put the recommended information in your signature.

#2 I don't know anything about that HTH kit, maybe someone else can chime in. I don't think it's on the approved test kit list here. I know people harp on this, but the most important piece of equipment you can have is the pool test kit and the relatively small expense for a good one will save you lots of money and headache in the long run. One thing that concerns me right off is that you posted total chlorine, not free chlorine. You need a kit that tests free chlorine. The recommended kits (like the TF-100) are also known to be accurate.

Good luck!

Bought muriatic acid and used the calculator to figure out how much to use. I also bought a Taylor drop test kit that does free chlorine and pH. pH was around 8-8.2 and free chlorine was almost non existent. After the pH comes down I'll start aerating to bring it back up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.