Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool test results

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool test results

On Sunday I got our 24' pool filled up and followed some directions I found that Texas Splash had posted. He said to get stabilizer and chlorine so I got 8 lbs of stabilizer and 5 jugs of 10% chlorine. I followed the pool calculator for them and added 81 oz stabilizer via the sock method and 57 oz of chlorine and got a pH of 7.8 and the chlorine/bromine was 3/6. I ran out of time Sunday to post anything up but managed to get a test the pool yesterday and again got a pH of 7.8 and chlorine/bromine was 3/6. Today after I got home I tested everything in the kit and here is what I got.

Total chlorline/ Total bromine: .5/1
    pH: 8
    Alkalanity:250
    Hardness: Couldn't get a result. The indicator turned the water blue/purple right away instead of red like the instructions said. And then when I added the titrant it took 5 drops to turn it blue.
    And finally the CYA was about 47.

I just went back on the pool calculator and added the recommended chlorine to bring the chlorine back in to range.

Why did the chlorine drop to almost nothing in the last 24 hours but not the previous 24 hours? And what do I need to do next to get these results where they need to be?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool test results

You need to raise your TA. This will also raise your already high pH, but raise the TA first, then adjust the pH accordingly. TA should be between 50 and 90 for non-SWG pools. CYA is on the high side if you don't have a SWG. Also put pool type, size, etc in your sig line so that we know what kind of pool. Do you have a salt water generator? If so, your CYA is low.

Chlorine dropped most likely because something is using it up.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

3. Back To Top    #3

Just realized I left a 0 out of the alkalinity. That should be 250.

And I added the info to my signature. No SWG.
    24' Round Sharkline Matrix - 15,200 gallons - Pentair Superflo 1 HP - Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 320 sq ft.

4. Back To Top    #4

Your TA is 250? Are you sure?

Here's what TFP has to say about high TA

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

5. Back To Top    #5

I followed the directions on the paper and it turned from green to red after 25 drops. Multiply by 10 and that's 250. Correct?

6. Back To Top    #6

If it helps this is a water quality report I just got from the city.

7. Back To Top    #7

I'd run the TA test again, what kit are you using? I'd also be interested to see result on the TA test on your tap water before it goes into the pool.

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, I'll run it again when I get home and check the water too.

Thanks!

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok. my experiencer has been that extreme outliers like that I goofed on the test. If it really is that high, then use the link I gave you to lower it. it may take a while, like weeks, to get it down. In the mean time continue to chlorinate the pool. You will probably have high pH until the TA is under control.

10. Back To Top    #10

I'd also like to know what test kit you are using.
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40

11. Back To Top    #11

It's an HTH drop test kit from Walmart.

12. Back To Top    #12

#1 You might want to go to the "pool school" and read the "Getting Started" page. It will help you get answers faster if you put the recommended information in your signature.

#2 I don't know anything about that HTH kit, maybe someone else can chime in. I don't think it's on the approved test kit list here. I know people harp on this, but the most important piece of equipment you can have is the pool test kit and the relatively small expense for a good one will save you lots of money and headache in the long run. One thing that concerns me right off is that you posted total chlorine, not free chlorine. You need a kit that tests free chlorine. The recommended kits (like the TF-100) are also known to be accurate.

Good luck!
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40

13. Back To Top    #13

When I first got my pool I had the HTH kit and it is a taylor based drop kit I believe. I used it before I got my TF kit and it seemed accurate.
    Intex 15'x42" Metal Frame pool 4200 GAL with Intex SWG. TF-100 test kit. Our Pool Install Thread

In Work! Master Spas Legend Series LSI 557 3-4 person Hot Tub, 230 GAL using bromine to sanitize it. Hot Tub Install Thread

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Blacklisted View Post
    When I first got my pool I had the HTH kit and it is a taylor based drop kit I believe. I used it before I got my TF kit and it seemed accurate.
    Same here. I initially used the same kit, and when I did get my TF-100, I found that the pH and chlorine tests matched quite well.

GC
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Cool, glad it's not a bad kit. But I need a kit that measures free chlorine instead of total then? I'll order the TF tomorrow if so.

16. Back To Top    #16

yes, you should have a way to measure FC. My kit measures FC and TC, you subtract FC from TC to get CC.

17. Back To Top    #17

The HTH kit measures with OTO. I have found that the pH measures the same with my Taylor K-2006 kit and hth.
    VinDeeLoo
    7600 gallons ~ AG ~ Summer Waves Cartridge C Filter ~ using pump that came with our Summer Waves 18 x 48 pool ~ Taylor K-2006 (SpeedStir & Sample Sizer) ~ no well water or water restrictions

18. Back To Top    #18

Measured a glass of water out of my sink and came up with roughly the same alkalinity. Is that normal for tap water?
    24' Round Sharkline Matrix - 15,200 gallons - Pentair Superflo 1 HP - Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 320 sq ft.

19. Back To Top    #19

Bought muriatic acid and used the calculator to figure out how much to use. I also bought a Taylor drop test kit that does free chlorine and pH. pH was around 8-8.2 and free chlorine was almost non existent. After the pH comes down I'll start aerating to bring it back up.

20. Back To Top    #20

Aerated all night and got a alkalinity of 220 this morning. Dropped the pH back down and continuing to aerate.