AA treatment 8 days ago and still cant get chlorine to be high enough to sanitize

Jul 12, 2016
Patchogue, new york
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I recently treated my pool with absorbic aid to clear the stains on the vinyl liner caused by the use of copper algaecide. It did a great job clearing it except for the fact that i am havin a great deal of trouble keeping the chlorine up. its been 8 days since i treated it. i keep checking and rechecking the chlorine throughout day. it dissapates once the sun is out. it will be between 3-5 in morning then by 1pm its at a zero. my levels are all in line CA 30-50. It seems the AA is continuoulsy neutralizing the chlorine. how long will this take to maintain proper chlorine levels? i dont want algae. thanks

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, the AA will use FC. You definitely need to maintain FC above minimum for your CYA,[FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], to keep the pool safe to swim, sanitized and algae free.

Ok so im going to start fresh. Im going to need to shock later on this evening bc i think im seeing algae starting. Do you recommend i buy Polyquat 60 algaecide in the meantime so if chlorine levels still stay low at least i wont get algae? idk anymore i should have done the AA treatment early in the season . It was my first experience treating for stains. I ordered pure AA powder from bulk supplements on Amazon and boght a culator for skimmer to pull released copper particles out. My vinyl liner bcame crystal clear but OMG the chlorine i cant get it to come up and stay up. I usually buy power powder plus from leslies to shock. when i typically shoch i shock witb 2 bags as my pool is an 18x34. Id rather try the bleach. this is so frustrating

It is fine to do the AA but you definitely have to keep adding bleach or liquid chlorine to ramp the FC up to minimum until it holds. Did you add sequestrant? Do you know the source of the copper? If the copper came from algaecide or a mineral pack it might be better to do the AA treatment, sequester the copper and drain it to remove the copper. And then don't add anymore copper.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.