Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can someone help me wire my SWG to the timer! PLEASE!!! Lots of pic

1. Back To Top    #1

STUPID newbie question!!

I finally got an intermatic timer for my pool.

When the pump is off, and the SWG says "No flow", but the actual system is still on, thats not affecting the SWG is it?
    16x34 In-ground vinyl pool (22,000ish gallons), Sand Filter, K-2006 test kit, SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: STUPID newbie question!!

The SWG power should be coming from the timer as well.

The flow switch is meant as a backup so that it is not generating when the pump is off. The "no flow" indicates that the SWG is indeed not generating by design, but what you currently have is not the recommended setup.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    The SWG power should be coming from the timer as well.

The flow switch is meant as a backup so that it is not generating when the pump is off. The "no flow" indicates that the SWG is indeed not generating by design, but what you currently have is not the recommended setup.
    why is it not recommended? If I leave it, what will go wrong? I can't change the set up now
    16x34 In-ground vinyl pool (22,000ish gallons), Sand Filter, K-2006 test kit, SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

If the SWG is on and the pump is off then it can build up gas and explode. Here is one,New Member Swade
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Why can't you change the setup? It should be pretty straight forward.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Why can't you change the setup? It should be pretty straight forward.
    Because I have no idea how. I'm sure its as easy as a couple wires, but this was set up by an electrician.

If I send you some pictures of the setup, could you walk me through it?

7. Back To Top    #7

Probably
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Probably
    Ok thanks. When I get home tonight I will take some detailed pictures and post them. Thanks jbizzle. Huge help.

9. Back To Top    #9

Probably
    Hey so can you help me out. This is my set up. I want to make the SWG turn off with the pump, not run on "no flow" mode.

Here are some pics. Sorry for the huge size.

10. Back To Top    #10

Can someone help me wire my SWG to the timer! PLEASE!!! Lots of pic

Hi,

An electrician installed a timer for me, and hooked it up to the pump, but not the SWG. I would like the SWG to turn off when the pump turn off. Can someone help me wire it?

Seems like it should be easy, but i am not pro. A step by step guide would be amazinggg!! Thanks in advance!

Sorry for the huge pics!

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Re: Can someone help me wire my SWG to the timer! PLEASE!!! Lots of pic

You appear to be missing the connections at 3 and 4. That is where you would attach the SWG.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    You appear to be missing the connections at 3 and 4. That is where you would attach the SWG.
    Thanks

and where do I get them from?

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Unfortunately, it might be cheaper/easier to replace it with a new one. It is very easy to install and the hardest part is finding the proper breaker to switch off.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

14. Back To Top    #14

If you are not comfortable with electrical wiring, then call an electrician. But if you are a DIYer, then it's pretty easy. According to the manual, the SWG is an auto voltage detect device and can be connected to 120v or 240v.

Here are the steps:
    - Disconnect the power to the pump timer (turn off the breaker)
    - Disconnect the power to the SWG (turn off the breaker)
    - Remove the cover on the switch for the SWG
    - Remove switch
    - Remove the wires from the switch and junction box
    - Put wire nuts on feed wires (from circuit breaker)
    if reusing the same wire:
    - Move the SWG panel closer to the timer so that the wires reach
    - Connect the wires into the pump timer. Same terminals that feed the pump supply wire. (black to black, white to white, green to green)
    If buying new wire
    - Open the SWG control box
    - Remove the wires that went to the switch
    - Connect new wires to the controller where you removed the old wires (black to black, white to white, green to green)
    - Connect the wires into the pump timer. Same terminals that feed the pump supply wire. (black to black, white to white, green to green)

- Now double check all connectors to make sure they are monkey tight (not gorilla tight).
    - Close all the boxes
    - Turn on the breaker to the pump.

Consult the manual for more info and for some diagrams (figure 18) http://www.jandy.com/~/media/zodiac/...h/h0331400.pdf
    29,000 gallon vinyl liner custom designed lagoon style in-ground pool (self-built 2015-2016), Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump (140K BTU), Hayward Pro Grid DE DE6020 Filter with Fiber Clear, Hayward Tiger Shark, 2 Hayward Color-Logic LED lights, Stenner 45MPHP10
    370 gallon Jacuzzi J-345 spa with ClearRay UV

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Davejavu View Post
    If you are not comfortable with electrical wiring, then call an electrician. But if you are a DIYer, then it's pretty easy. According to the manual, the SWG is an auto voltage detect device and can be connected to 120v or 240v.

Here are the steps:
    - Remove switch
    If buying new wire
    - Connect new wires to the controller where you removed the old wires (black to black, white to white, green to green)

- Now double check all connectors to make sure they are monkey tight (not gorilla tight).
    - Close all the boxes

Consult the manual for more info and for some diagrams (figure 18) http://www.jandy.com/~/media/zodiac/...h/h0331400.pdf
    thank you!!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Davejavu View Post

Here are the steps:
    - Remove switch
    If buying new wire

- Close all the boxes

So I don't need to put it in terminal # 3 and 4 of the timer ?

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

You are not missing any connections. That is a 120V timer. It doesn't have any.

The conduit that comes from the breaker box to the switch needs to be wired into the neutral and load side of the timer. This is assuming that the SWG is a 120V unit as well.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source

18. Back To Top    #18

You don't have a terminal 3 and 4 in your timer (that is a generic plastic cover for multiple timers)
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

You also need to run a proper bonding wire (bare copper 8AWG) from the bonding lug on the SWG control box (bottom right under side of control box) to the pools bonding system.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by proavia View Post
    You also need to run a proper bonding wire (bare copper 8AWG) from the bonding lug on the SWG control box (bottom right under side of control box) to the pools bonding system.
    Thanks everyone. Appreciate it!